Does sand becomes less effective over time

May 22, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Moved to a new topic. If the thought occurs to you that you might even maybe be hijacking, just start a new topic. JasonLion

Good question, Terry, as we were discussing this last night with the neighbor. Sorry to hijack your post, we have the same exact filter as Terry, and this is the third season of using it. We have been backwashing since Saturday and have noticed some sand loss. Wewere wondering if the sand becomes less effective over time (years) of filtering.

Re: How do you clean a pool filter?

Backwashing since Saturday? You've had your valve on backwash and been runnning the pump since Saturday???

I replaced my sand recently because I needed a new filter. It was installed in 1989 and the sand was still filtering. I don't think a few years is going to hurt it.

Re: How do you clean a pool filter?

RobbieH said:
Backwashing since Saturday? You've had your valve on backwash and been runnning the pump since Saturday?

You couldn't read my mind?!?!? :p Been backwashing when the pressure gets to 16. It operates at 10. We typically run the filter 24/7.

I thought it might be premature to change the sand yet, but it is worth asking about. The previous filter on was a DE filter that was a total PITA. We have been please so far with the sand filter.

Robbie--Right now once every 24/36 hours. We have yet to see the bottom of the pool b/c the pool is so cloudy.

Jason--Thanks for making the new post--guess I need to go read the rules again. :oops:
Unfortunately, the pool was not closed properly last fall, so we had a lot of algae, leaf litter, and scale. I am going to avoid changing the sand for now.

Has anyone ever determined a definitive answer to this age-old question?
I've heard that some of the sharp corners and "craggies" of the grains of sand can wear smoother over time, and that due to this, the sand becomes less capable of filtering smaller particles.
Personally, I feel like there is SO much surface area involved with a filter full of sand that it would be really tough to make a difference in filtering ability with normal aging of sand.

Ohm_Boy said:
Has anyone ever determined a definitive answer to this age-old question?
I've heard that some of the sharp corners and "craggies" of the grains of sand can wear smoother over time, and that due to this, the sand becomes less capable of filtering smaller particles.
Personally, I feel like there is SO much surface area involved with a filter full of sand that it would be really tough to make a difference in filtering ability with normal aging of sand.

Silica sand is quite resistant and should last about 10 years easily ( no matter what your pool supply store tells you)
Attention should be paid that there is not too much sand in the filters in order to allow a proper lifting of the sand in the filter
when performing a back wash.

I think that eventually the sand particles do smooth out and become more spherical. I think that this probably does reduce the filter efficiency somewhat. I think that changing the sand can be helpful after 10 to 20 years.

Just replaced my sand filter and sand after twenty-five years, due to broken parts that could no longer be located. I will say that the clarity has improved slightly, but not a huge amount. It's also a larger filter. though, so should offer improved clarity, anyway. This would suggest to me that you should replace the sand every couple of decades, but the five years that pool stores recommend is overkill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.