What Size Hose Barb Do I Need?

DonW

Jun 27, 2008
Central IL.
I've got a 8 Gallon, With "3/8" Upgrade LQ on its way and before it gets here would like to do some pre-plumbing of the lines.
What size hose barb do I need? 3/8? 1/4? 1/2? I've got it currently plumbed with 1 1/2 inch PVC that I'm going to get a tee fitting and then plug it until the LQ gets here. The fitting is going to go on the pool supply line and I'll feed directly into the strainer basket drain port.
Thanks.

The LQ comes with hose clamp fittings that go around the 1½" pipe. If you plan on changing them to screwed fittings You'll need a 1/4" threaded by 3/8" tubing fittings for the LQ tubing to fit into. I bought some of the push-in fittings at HD last weekend.

Bama Rambler said:
It'll be 1/4" I.D. tubing. but that restricts the flow. It's better to get the push-on fittings like this. they fit over the outside of the tubing so the don't restrict the flow.

I have had bad luck with that type of polypro fittings in chlorine applications since they use epdm seals.

Instead i would use http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKE ... LBOW&Wtky=

with a viton o ring.

The only problem with those fittings is that they're made of nylon which is supposedly worse in chlorine service than epdm. In fact nylon is banned in every application where I work.

However since we're dealing with low level chlorinated water they'll probably be ok as will the epdm o-rings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.