Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LaMotte Borate Test Strips - $11 with Free Shipping

1. Back To Top    #1

LaMotte Borate Test Strips - $11 with Free Shipping

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KZ ... os_product

Amazon wins again! I finally get confimation on what my borate levels are. Hopefully the strips are accurate and easy to read, but you know how strips can be.
    20,000 Gal Vinyl In-ground | Hayward Sandfilter | 1.5HP Hayward Superpump | Polaris 165 (Turtle for In-Ground)

Liquid 8.25% Bleach: 64oz for $1.39 | South Carolina Heat | Borates: ~50ppm | CYA: ~35ppm

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: LaMotte Borate Test Strips - $11 with Free Shipping

Good Timing, I'm about out
    Intek 15' diameter X 4'deep 4,800 gallon AG beginner pool, updated with a Hayward sand filter, 60GPM pump. TF-50 Test Kit. Upgraded to TK-100

3. Back To Top    #3

****, they won't ship to Canada.

I Emailed Apollo pools and they don't have any
    76549 Liters -- Cartridge Filter -- In Ground -- Vinyl -- TF-100 Test Kit -- AquaVac Robotic Cleaner -- UV Sanitation -- Winter Safety Cover -- Installed 2010 -- Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Latest Test Results June 25:
    FC - 6, CC - 0, CYA - 40, CH - 110, TA - 90, pH - 7.5

4. Back To Top    #4

(deleted)

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm having a heck of a time finding Lamotte test strips in Ontario. Many distributors of Lamotte products, but few that will sell me anything less than a case of 12.
    40,000L (10,500G) 17 x 30 Pioneer "Trinity" Vinyl IG
    Hayward OmniLogic, Hayward TCELL925-CUL SWG, Hayward SP23520VSP MaxFlo Pump, Club Pro SM2506T Sand Filter, Hayward H-Series Heater, Zodiac G3 Cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

LaMotte lists a number of dealers in Ontario on their Canadian Retail Outlets list. Someone on that list should have what you want.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Just placed an order

http://www.nationaldiscountpoolsupplies.com/botest.html

Seems to be the only place that will ship to Canada. I Emailed some of the suppliers on the Lamotte site, but the list seems old.

FYI for anyone in Canada
    76549 Liters -- Cartridge Filter -- In Ground -- Vinyl -- TF-100 Test Kit -- AquaVac Robotic Cleaner -- UV Sanitation -- Winter Safety Cover -- Installed 2010 -- Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Latest Test Results June 25:
    FC - 6, CC - 0, CYA - 40, CH - 110, TA - 90, pH - 7.5

8. Back To Top    #8

I ordered from Amazon and the expiration date on the strips was cleverly covered by another unremovable label. As they were impossible to read, they were probably long expired. I was able to tell the date of manufacture from the lot code number and it was week 32 of 2011. First two numbers iare week, third number is year. so 321 is 32nd week of 2011. As they are over two years old I'll be returning to Amazon. Might actually visit a pool store to see if I can get them to be assured they are recent.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Toesinsand
    As they are over two years old I'll be returning to Amazon. Might actually visit a pool store to see if I can get them to be assured they are recent.

http://tftestkits.net/Borates-Test-Strips-p29.html

Not sure how many are in Amazons test, but Daves price is less (unless you have Prime). Plus we know his tests haven't been sitting for years.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks, just placed an order. Better to pay a dollar more to be sure to get good strips. Hopefully I can read these. Still wish there was a good titration test available though.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

FWIW, we actually can ship the LaMotte Borate strips to Canada. It is Taylor products that we cannot.

The expiration on our current inventory is June 2015
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Just curious, what is the shelf life?

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Well, I don't know when these were manufactured. We've had them 20-30 days so probably a year and a half.

It is important to remember that "shelf life" is arbitrary depending on where you choose to store them. Left in the hot sun by the pool, I doubt they would last even until their expiration date
    Dave S.

14. Back To Top    #14

As I mentioned previously in the post, the date of manufacture can be determined from the lot # near the expiration date. The first two numbers represent the week of manufacture and the third number represents the year of manufacture. So in the case of the ones Amazon sent me a few weeks ago with lot number of 32118, the relevant numbers are 321, meaning they were manufactured in week 32 (early August) of 2011. Thus they were over two years old when I received them. I wasn't questioning your material and in fact have already placed an order with you. I was just wondering so that I could determine the shelf life and work backwards to whether the ones I received from Amazon were expired as there was another label placed over the expiration date.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

The strips I have in stock have the same lot # (32118) and an expiration of 6/15
    Dave S.

16. Back To Top    #16

Then that suggests a 4-year shelf life at room temperature. Seems kind of long for a strip, but i guess they are ok. Maybe my eyeball just doesn't calibrate well on the different shades of borate pink although the PH purples have always been pretty clear.

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

For clarification, I spoke with LaMotte tech support this AM to clarify the shelf life. It is two years.
    the date of manufacture can be determined from the lot # near the expiration date. The first two numbers represent the week of manufacture and the third number represents the year of manufacture.
    The code on the bottle is applicable to their liquid and powder reagents but does not apply to the strips. Tech support could not tell me for sure if the lot#'s on the strips conveyed a manufacture date but they could confirm that the shelf life was two years.

So an expiration of 6/15 indicates the strips were manufactured in probably the last half of 2013.
    Dave S.

18. Back To Top    #18

I realize this thread is from a few years ago but the link in the first post for the test strips on amazon looks like a test for bromine not borates. From lamottes web site below it seems these wont work for testing borax levels?
    http://www.lamotte.com/en/pool-spa/insta-test/2976.html

I am under the impression that I will need to test for bromates not bromine.....am I correct or confused?
    60000 L /15000gal L shaped infinity pool IG cement pool with 4" tile and grout
    28" sand filter / 1.5 hp hayward super pump 80 gpm
    Zodiac large size SWG, Taylor K-2006 test kit, 2 wheel suction side the pool cleaner

19. Back To Top    #19

Do you have a bromine pool? Borates and bromine are completely different.

Generally test strips are not recommended for anything except salt (although there are better tests) or borates (which are completely optional).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Do you have a bromine pool? Borates and bromine are completely different.

Generally test strips are not recommended for anything except salt (although there are better tests) or borates (which are completely optional).
    I have a salt water pool and just finished following the procedure from this forum to add 20 mule team borax. When I went to test the borate concentration I used the test strips i had gotten for this but at the time I didn't realize I bought bromine test strips which don't do me any good. What I was saying is the first post has a link to a similar bromine test strip but it is advertised as borate test strip on amazon. When I went to lamottes webpage it only tests up to 20 ppm bromine. Am I missing something ? I thought bromine and borates were two totally different animals so to speak.
    60000 L /15000gal L shaped infinity pool IG cement pool with 4" tile and grout
    28" sand filter / 1.5 hp hayward super pump 80 gpm
    Zodiac large size SWG, Taylor K-2006 test kit, 2 wheel suction side the pool cleaner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast