Brand new pool owner and new to forum!!

mekaw

May 27, 2011
Hi! I'm so excited to finally have a pool...I've wanted one for a very long time. So, the pool is filled and I've been following the advice from Pool School and used the BBB method for about a week now. I'm having a hard time getting my CH high enough, and I can't seem to keep FC in the pool. My latest test results are:

FC .5 (I added what the pool calculator told me to)
Ph 8.2 (i added ph down)
TA 100
CH 30
CYA 30 (I know this takes up to a week to reach optimal level, so I haven't checked it since I added it).

I have to confess that I threw some trichlor tabs in just to help keep some chlorine in the pool. I work weird hours and can't always be there to pour the liquid in. I plan on taking them out as soon as my CYA is at the right level and I can maintain FC.

So how am I doing so far?? Anything I should do different? Thanks in advance for all help :)

With a vinyl pool don't worry about the CH. It's fine that low.
Your first concern is pH (but you've already taken care of that)
Then get some more chlorine in there to get you to 5 ppm.
The TA will come down as you adjust the pH down as it rises.

Great! Is it ok to mix 6% liquid bleach with the trichlor tabs, or should I not? And the only other thing I'm unsure of is how long I should be running my pump. Right now it is 24/7.

thanks for your response :)

Yes you can pour bleach into your pool while using tabs. If you are worried your CYA is going to come up more, you should stop using the tabs for now. 30 is not a bad point to be at for CYA for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.