Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new pool owner and new to forum!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand new pool owner and new to forum!!

Hi! I'm so excited to finally have a pool...I've wanted one for a very long time. So, the pool is filled and I've been following the advice from Pool School and used the BBB method for about a week now. I'm having a hard time getting my CH high enough, and I can't seem to keep FC in the pool. My latest test results are:

FC .5 (I added what the pool calculator told me to)
    Ph 8.2 (i added ph down)
    TA 100
    CH 30
    CYA 30 (I know this takes up to a week to reach optimal level, so I haven't checked it since I added it).

I have to confess that I threw some trichlor tabs in just to help keep some chlorine in the pool. I work weird hours and can't always be there to pour the liquid in. I plan on taking them out as soon as my CYA is at the right level and I can maintain FC.

So how am I doing so far?? Anything I should do different? Thanks in advance for all help
    Hayward 15x30 4ft deep above ground oval, hayward dreamline sand filter with hayward powerflo lx pump 1hp, BBB method, lil' shark cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand new pool owner and new to forum!!

With a vinyl pool don't worry about the CH. It's fine that low.
    Your first concern is pH (but you've already taken care of that)
    Then get some more chlorine in there to get you to 5 ppm.
    The TA will come down as you adjust the pH down as it rises.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Great! Is it ok to mix 6% liquid bleach with the trichlor tabs, or should I not? And the only other thing I'm unsure of is how long I should be running my pump. Right now it is 24/7.

thanks for your response
    Hayward 15x30 4ft deep above ground oval, hayward dreamline sand filter with hayward powerflo lx pump 1hp, BBB method, lil' shark cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes you can pour bleach into your pool while using tabs. If you are worried your CYA is going to come up more, you should stop using the tabs for now. 30 is not a bad point to be at for CYA for now.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!