Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: question on flow rates and proper pump size..run times etc..

1. Back To Top    #1

question on flow rates and proper pump size..run times etc..

I currently have a 21 foot ab pool....had it installed in 2006. I have I believe a 21 inch sand filter and a 1hp pump.... im trying to figure out the the turnover rate of the pump and filter.... the pump itself says 60gpm(1hp)..the filter says filter rate is 25gm and design rate is 45gpm. im alittle confused, wouldnt the pump be too big then for the filter? all the pool shops sell 21 inch filters with the 1hp pump.. now how do i figure out what gpm im pushing? is it the 60gpm that the pump list, or is the 25gpm that is on the filter? im just trying to calculate the number of hrs to turnover the pool water twice on my pool....once again, 21 foot ab, i believe around 10,500 gallons or so..thanks, Pete
    20,000 gal. Vinyl
    1.5 hp pump 300 lb. sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: question on flow rates and proper pump size..run times e

Tell us your filter pressure and your suction head if you know it. If not then describe your plumbing to us. That'll get us started helping you figure it out. We'll also need the model of the pump.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

oh boy, no idea on pressure.. i will give the model of pump and filter, pump is a haywood powerflo LX 1hp... the filter is a hayward dreamline model S190TSCP.. I have the input hose and output hose both around 4 feet long..no other equipment
    20,000 gal. Vinyl

4. Back To Top    #4

You need to know your filter pressure in order to even guess about the flow rate. There should be a gauge on it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

filter pressure on the guage on the filter says 10psi
    20,000 gal. Vinyl

6. Back To Top    #6

Dave, When you get a chance will you provide the formula for determining flow rate or is it already in Pool School and I missed it?
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), Liquidator, and a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.

7. Back To Top    #7

If you look in the pumping section you'll find Mark's sticky that includes the spreadsheet to figure out flow using several different parameters.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Looking at the curve it looks like you're flowing about 50 to 60 gpm. That's a lot for that filter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

what would i need to do? get a new pump? this is my sixth season using this combination
    20,000 gal. Vinyl

10. Back To Top    #10

If it's working fine then don't worry about it.

Adjust your runtime to something you think will work and adjust it from there until you're happy.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator