Stain Identification

RobbieH

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 30, 2010
Dallas, TX
I'd like to know the cause of these stains. I am not set on resolving them, if it's even possible, but I'd like to know what caused them so that we can prevent this from happening after we have the pool resurfaced (next year it's looking like now). These were here when we bought the house, and now that the water is clear they really show up and make the pool look bad.

NOTE: there is NO ALGAE in my pool, the chemicals are good, etc.

Stain 1:
My guess is this is etching from a major algae problem. As you can see, the appearance of the stain (they may be 2 different problems) is different up the side of the wall compared to lower down the wall. These stains also appear on the floor in places. It is slightly rough and does not sweep off.

stain3.jpg

Stain 2:
This really isn't a stain, it's a spot on the pool that looks like a repair. It is crumbly, and is NOT a repair. A friend that knows a lot about pools said it is calcium seep from the previous owner not keeping CH high enough. There are maybe 5 of these around the pool.

stain2.jpg

Stain 3:
This spot is on the floor of the pool. It is raised and looks like iron staining. Sorry the picture isn't better, it is hard to get a picture of this spot. So in this case it is sort of similar to Stain 2 in that it's raised from the surface, but the rust color has me more concerned about this one than Stain 2.

stain4.jpg

Again, I'm not real concerned about fixing these unless it's easy to do, because we plan on resurfacing the pool either after this year's swim season or next year before swim season begins. I am mostly curious, but would fix them if it's not hard.

Low PH/TA/CH levels can cause pitting of the plaster. But that is normally spread out over a large area and does not normally cause a spot that looks as bad as #2 until it is very obvious over a large area. That could be a defect in the original plaster job that has gotten worse over time, or it might be the result of a gouge or hit with something metal that subsequently deteriorated.

The first one looks like spalling, or delamination. I had the same thing but not as bad. Most of what you have may be able to be ground out if the surface is thick enough, and that would be a LOT cheaper!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.