Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stain Identification

1. Back To Top    #1

Stain Identification

I'd like to know the cause of these stains. I am not set on resolving them, if it's even possible, but I'd like to know what caused them so that we can prevent this from happening after we have the pool resurfaced (next year it's looking like now). These were here when we bought the house, and now that the water is clear they really show up and make the pool look bad.

NOTE: there is NO ALGAE in my pool, the chemicals are good, etc.

Stain 1:
    My guess is this is etching from a major algae problem. As you can see, the appearance of the stain (they may be 2 different problems) is different up the side of the wall compared to lower down the wall. These stains also appear on the floor in places. It is slightly rough and does not sweep off.

Stain 2:
    This really isn't a stain, it's a spot on the pool that looks like a repair. It is crumbly, and is NOT a repair. A friend that knows a lot about pools said it is calcium seep from the previous owner not keeping CH high enough. There are maybe 5 of these around the pool.

Stain 3:
    This spot is on the floor of the pool. It is raised and looks like iron staining. Sorry the picture isn't better, it is hard to get a picture of this spot. So in this case it is sort of similar to Stain 2 in that it's raised from the surface, but the rust color has me more concerned about this one than Stain 2.

Again, I'm not real concerned about fixing these unless it's easy to do, because we plan on resurfacing the pool either after this year's swim season or next year before swim season begins. I am mostly curious, but would fix them if it's not hard.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stain Identification

You can hold a trichlor puck on them to see if it's organic. And you can try a vitamin C tablet on them to tell if it's iron.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

more about knowing what caused it. I'm really curious about the second one.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Low PH/TA/CH levels can cause pitting of the plaster. But that is normally spread out over a large area and does not normally cause a spot that looks as bad as #2 until it is very obvious over a large area. That could be a defect in the original plaster job that has gotten worse over time, or it might be the result of a gouge or hit with something metal that subsequently deteriorated.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

The first one looks like spalling, or delamination. I had the same thing but not as bad. Most of what you have may be able to be ground out if the surface is thick enough, and that would be a LOT cheaper!