Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help!! On replacing filter and pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Help!! On replacing filter and pump

I currently have an old old Pac Fab Superflow sand filter (off top of my head can't remember whether its a 35 or 50). I am looking to replace the filter and the pump as its becoming very hard to keep the filter cobbled together. What is recommended to be the best sand filter to use? What about a pump? What size? The pool is approx. 27,000 gallons. The filter and pump also sits about 6 feet higher in elevation that the skimmer on the pool. It is often dificult to get a prime on it and get it going. Is there a good source for these things or is it just as reasonable (price) to purchase from a pool store.

***NOTE: I have to use a sidemount control valve....not enough height clearance!!

Also, when I purchased the house with the pool, the servicing pool store recommended that I keep the pump running 24/7 during the season. Does this sound correct or maybe just because it may be undersized? Pool Store says "everyone in this area runs the pump 24/7". With it being so difficult to get a prime even after only shutting down for a few minutes, I can't imagine putting it on a timer or turning off daily... Any and all advice is VERY appreciated!!
    25,000 gallon Vinyl Lined Inground. One skimmer, 2 returns. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-4, Hayward Pro Grid DE 3620 with VariFlow valve, LaarsLite 2 propane heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help!! On replacing filter and pump

I'd recommend the Pentair Triton II and a Whisperflo 2-speed pump. Either the TR-60 or TR-80 and the WFDS-4 or WFDS-26 pump.

Running your pump 24/7 is probably overkill and if your current pump is a single speed it's definitely overkill.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes. My current pump is a single speed. I have thought about trying to only run part of the day, but it takes so long to regain a prime on it....
    25,000 gallon Vinyl Lined Inground. One skimmer, 2 returns. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-4, Hayward Pro Grid DE 3620 with VariFlow valve, LaarsLite 2 propane heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you have any leaks in the system anywhere?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

No leaks anywhere that I can find. Once primed, the pump and filter runs fine...water level in pool doesn't drop either. I'm thinking its because the pump is so far from the skimmer and main drain and sits so much higher than either of them.??

6. Back To Top    #6

It may be that the pump is wearing out and just has a hard time priming. The new pumps are really good at priming at higher heads.

Do you have any water features? (Fountain, waterfall, etc?)
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

OK. I have no water features; just main drain, skimmer, 2 returns, and the pressure side return for the cleaner (seperate booster pump).

8. Back To Top    #8

Then I stand by my pump & filter recommendations.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

What about the Intelliflo pumps?

10. Back To Top    #10

The Intelliflo's are great pumps but unless you have water features or a spa, or your power rates are fairly high, they're not usually worth the added expense.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

OK. I truly appreciate your help and advice!

12. Back To Top    #12

Probaly going to go with a Triton II TR-60 w/ ClearPro...I don't see where the TR-80 is available with ClearPro. What is the difference in the 2 pumps you recommended?

13. Back To Top    #13

The part numbers.

Yeah, they're the same pump. Some people carry one but not the other so it gives you a choice.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator