Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie Here

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie Here

Hey All,
    Im new to this forum but not too new to pools. Ive had a 24ft above ground for the last 8 years or so. I finally pulled the trigger and converted the pool to SWG. So far so good except for the extreme salinity spikes. One day its 3500ppm, the next day it is 7000ppm.

Bud
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Bud
    Lawrenceville, GA
    24 FT Doughyboy AGP, Cicrcupool RJ20 SWG, Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie Here

Welcome!! How long has it been since you have added salt to the pool?
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Is the unit giving you those readings?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The SWG has only been installed for 2 weeks. Its a Circupool RJ20. Yes the control unit is giving me those readings. I installed and wired it per the instructions and added 480 lbs of water softener salt to the pool, also per the calculations and chart with the unit. The original salt content was 6600ppm but fell to around 3800ppm within a week with the unit set to 70% production. The water is Crystal clear. I checked the water with a test strip and a pool water program that I have. The program said to add 2 lbs of shock to raise one of the chlorine levels (I cant remember which). The next day the controller showed a salt content of 7000ppm. I took a water sample to the pool store to have it tested...they said the salt content was 4800ppm. The pool store said to backflush out a couple inches of water from the pool and refill. I did that. I checked the controller when I got home from work the next day and it read 3700ppm. 4 hours later it read 7000ppm again.
    Any ideas? Thanks Guys.
    Bud
    Lawrenceville, GA

5. Back To Top    #5

Souunds line a loose connection somewhere. I'd go through all of them and make sure they're tight and clean.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Anything is worth a try. The connections are pretty idiot (Bud proof)proof. Ill give it a shot. I dont know that much about SWGs but Im pretty certain that I shouldnt be getting swings like this.
    Bud
    Lawrenceville, GA

7. Back To Top    #7

It could be that the salt isn't completly dissolved. Did you brush the pool after dumping in the salt?
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

8. Back To Top    #8

Yep, Ive brushed it. I was really amazed how quick all the salt dissolved into the water. I dumped in 480 lbs and in 3 hours it was dissolved. I checked it again last night and the salt was at 3700ppm. I did some more reading in the owners manual. It says that the salt content displayed on the controller shows the content from the last test. It retests the salt each time the timer turns on. It is possible that the 7000ppm that I was seeing was from the previous day. I don't think I shut down the timer from the day before.
    Bud
    Lawrenceville, GA

9. Back To Top    #9

The salt level can vary wildly for 24 hours after you add salt. Most likely the high salt reading is from that initial period.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School