Need above ground pool skimmer solution…

Apr 30, 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
I have a 27’ above ground pool. (16K-17K gallons). I am interested in getting a skimmer attachment that will make my skimmer work better. It doesn’t seem to catch much debris. Most of the floaties just go right past the skimmer. I have a sand filter, and the speed is not adjustable. I can adjust the speed only by turning the louvers on the return.

I love what I see with the PoolSkim, but I have the Aqualuminator light in my water return. I can’t see how I can install PoolSkim without taking the light out. And even then, some say the fittings don't always fit right.

There is a product called Skim-it, but the reviews seem to allude that it is cheaply made and that the mounting devices don’t work well, if at all. Also, some reviews say the debris just goes right around it.

I have a lot of bugs and need something to make the skimmer work better.

Any suggestions?

FlyersFan
New Jersey

I have a pool skim and it works great! I am not familiar with the aqua illuminator. Does the water shoot straight out of the return or can you direct it to the side? I have used something similar to the skim it in the past and everything went around it.

If you do not want to remove the aqua illuminator, then you might try dropping the water level and inch or two and see if that improves the flow of debris in the skimmer.

Since you have the aqua-illuminator your options are limited. The skim-it is probably your best bet and it doesn't cost a fortune if it doesn't work as well as you'd like.

You could think about installing a second return, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

Try dropping the water level a little. The skimmer in round pools works best if you can point the return to the side and get a good circular flow. Since you can't do that with the light, then lowering the water a bit may create a little touch of venturi action to help draw debris into the skimmer. If it doesn't work or draws in too much air you can always raise the water level back up.

I have an aqualuminator light as well. You can adjust the flow, if you didn't already know this by turning the outside vented collar where the water returns. If it seems too tight to turn, try loosening the nut that holds the light in on the outside of the pool. Most times for me, the skimmer works best if I point the flow downward more to slow the circular flow rather than to have it go faster around the pool. This year, before refilling, I cut & installed a second return, mainly for my SWCG to install into. I do notice I get lots better circulation in the pool now also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.