Prologic system and salt readings. How to Force a reading

May 8, 2011
Ok, so I am learning more about my system every day. I have the hayward prologic system with the p4 remote. I am a little confused.

The other day I went into my diagnostic menu and located the salinity option. It said 0000 press + to save. So I did and my reading went from 2900 to 0000. So I went online and learned that when the chlorine reaches its desired precentage and shuts itself down, I cant get a reading. One post suggested that you up you chlorine % to force the cell to turn on then you can do another test.

Once I did that, about 30 min later it gave me a press to check salt, then a countdown from 15 seconds to 0, then the salt number began to climb from 100 200.... back to 2900.

So my question is, how can I make the unit do this without having to increase my salinity % to trick it? Is there an actual way to test salinity on a regular basis for up to date factual readings? Or do I need to manually test for this. Also it has said 2900 all week but with all the rain that we have had I am positive that the number should be less, so does the system do an auto check and adjust on its own, or is the 2900 just saved from the last time that I saved that level?

Does this make sense? I sure hope so

Re: Prologic system and salt readings. How to Force a readin

The routinely displayed number is an average over the last 24 hours, and when things are stable that is the most accurate reading you can get. Unless there is an electrical glitch, or a lose cable, or you added salt in the last 24 hours, you want to use the routinely displayed number. You should only go into the diagnostics area when there is a problem.

Re: Prologic system and salt readings. How to Force a readin

it has said 2900 all week but with all the rain that we have had I am positive that the number should be less

Here are some numbers just for fun :lol:

For a 30,000 gallon pool, it would take 1,875 gallons of rain to reduce the concentration by 200 ppm.
This is basically 1/16 of the pool volume.
A 20x40 pool holds 6,000 gallons per foot or 500 gallons per inch.
So it would take 3.75 inches of rainfall before we would see a decrease of 200 ppm in our salt concentration.

With an accuracy of +- 200 ppm for even a new cell we could see rainfall of 7.5 inches before the salt system registers the 200 ppm decrease in salinity. :sleep:

I don't really worry about the exact salinity readout. When the average salinity is less than 3,000 ppm, I add a 40 lb bag of salt to increase it to the optimum level of 3200 ppm in our 30K gal pool. :goodjob:

PSG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.