Soapy backwash water

Mar 13, 2010
Hello,
Doing a backwash today at an indoor pool, the water coming from the backwash line was soapy-like bubbly soapy. It was definitely soap because I filled a bucket with the backwash water and it was soapy...pool is hazy. ONly chemicals added ever are: sodium hypochlorite, acid magic, sodium bicarbonate and calcium chloride. No algaecides or any other products and no one added soap to the pool. But, there was a mysterious foam on top of the chlorine in the chlorine tank...

thank you,

Any chance someone bought scented bleach by mistake?

The foam in the chlorine tank is the puzzler. I've seen a huge pile of meringue-like scum on a pool caused by lotions and sunscreen (I called the health dept on 'em!) but I can't imagine why chlorine would look soapy unless something else was added.

By the way, the active ingredient in acid magic is plain ol' Muriatic acid, which you can probably buy a lot cheaper.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.