Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool calculator question

1. Back To Top    #1

pool calculator question

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what the following means from the pool calculator:

Suggested FC Levels : SWG: 3 Normal:3 to 9 Shock: 18 Mustard Algae Shock: 34

I have a SWCG, does this mean I shoot for 3, or betweem 3 & 9? Or is the 3 to 9 for a non SWCG pool?

Thanks!
    24' AG Doughboy w/ 5'8 dish bottom, CWII DE Filter, 1.5 hayward 2 speed pump, Aquatrol SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool calculator question

Shoot for 3. and enjoy your pool
    Kurt R
    35900 gal. 20x40 Inground, Vinyl Liner with Deep End in the Middle, Roman Stairs on Both Ends
    Sta Rite Sys 3, Hayward 1.5 Super Pump, Aqua Heat Heat Pump, Paramount in Floor, BBB

3. Back To Top    #3

What he said.

You might want to push the level up before and after a party.

If you only run the pump, and therefore the SWG a few hours a day, then shoot high enough so that when you lose FC to sunlight, it still stays above 3. If you run the pump all day, 3 is fine, assuming you eneterd the proper CYA level. FC minimum will change if you adjust CYA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks all. Trying to balance the water this spring, and my FC just measured a 9. Turned of the SWCG for awhile to get it down. CYA is about 50 right now. How high is high enough at this CYA level to damage the vinyl?
    24' AG Doughboy w/ 5'8 dish bottom, CWII DE Filter, 1.5 hayward 2 speed pump, Aquatrol SWG.

5. Back To Top    #5

With CYA at 50 I don't recommend raising FC above 30, and even that shouldn't be for too long (ie several days is fine, but not several weeks).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you.