Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A few questions about sand filters

1. Back To Top    #1

A few questions about sand filters

I have a 9k gallon inground, 3/4 hp Super Pump, 1.5 " piping.

*People have recommended that I get a Pentair Sand Dollar filter, but all of them that I've seen say they are for above ground pools. Will it work for my inground?
    *If they would work, what size Pentair Sand Dollar filter do I need?
    *I've also been recommended the Hayward S220T. Anyone prefer one over the other and why?
    *Any other suggestions besides the Hayward or Sand Dollar that would fit my setup?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A few questions about sand filters

The Sand Dollar filter is just fine with an in-ground pool. I recommend getting the largest one you can afford and have space for. The Hayward S2XX series is also fine.

Are you set on getting a sand filter? Or might you be interested in a cartridge or DE filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the S220T and would think that would be a nice fit and well oversized (a good thing) for your pool.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The Sand Dollar filter is just fine with an in-ground pool. I recommend getting the largest one you can afford and have space for. The Hayward S2XX series is also fine.

Are you set on getting a sand filter? Or might you be interested in a cartridge or DE filter.
    Oh, not 100% set, it's just what I'm used to and I thought this would be the cheapest way to go. Should I be interested in cartridge or DE instead?

5. Back To Top    #5

If I thought I could do cartridge or DE for the same or similar price, I would. I haven't checked pricing, but was under the impression that those options would be much more costly.