Help a NOOB out, new kit, dirty pool

May 23, 2011
Well as the topic says I need some help. I went got a test kit from leslies today I got the 81-330 kit, hopefully this will work if not I will bring it back for the correct one. My pool is cloudy at the moment as I poured about 6 gallons of 6% bleach yesterday. I had leslies test my water at the same time to see what they got and these are the numbers they gave me.
FC-3
PH-7.6
TA-120
CYA-0
CALICUM HARDNESS-240

I know I need to bring up the FC and CYA but not sure in which order, I am still reading the pool school but Im one that learns as he goes and messes up lol. I will post a link of the kit I got and can someone let me know if it will work. Thanks and cant wait to be another success story. I will try to post a picture of the pool later if I can figure it out.

Welcome to TFP!

FC at 3 with zero CYA is fine where it is for the moment. I would start raising the CYA level first.

That kit is great except that it only has the DPD chlorine test, instead of the FAS-DPD chlorine test. DPD only measures FC/CC levels up to 5 (or 10), while FAS-DPD measures levels up to 50.

thanks for the quick reply, I realized that it only went to 5 when I was on my way home, would this be a problem? Do I only need it that high when shocking and trying to clear the pool? I have a bucket full of 3'' pucks will that work to bring my CYA up?

Go to your local big name store (that carries pool supplies) and buy "stabilizer" (100% Cyanuric Acid "CYA"). Add it to the pool by pouring into a sock and hanging it in front of one of the returns. I hang mine over the edge and put a rock or heavy object on the open end of the sock.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jamull2852 said:
ok thanks, ill be back when CYA gets up thanks again. Usually takes a few days to read correct?

I've read it takes about a week before it shows up on the test. But if the sock is empty of course you should assume it's in the water and adjust your target FC accordingly.

What is your CC (combined chlorine) level? What does your water look like? Pictures would be great!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.