Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help a NOOB out, new kit, dirty pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Help a NOOB out, new kit, dirty pool

Well as the topic says I need some help. I went got a test kit from leslies today I got the 81-330 kit, hopefully this will work if not I will bring it back for the correct one. My pool is cloudy at the moment as I poured about 6 gallons of 6% bleach yesterday. I had leslies test my water at the same time to see what they got and these are the numbers they gave me.
    FC-3
    PH-7.6
    TA-120
    CYA-0
    CALICUM HARDNESS-240

I know I need to bring up the FC and CYA but not sure in which order, I am still reading the pool school but Im one that learns as he goes and messes up lol. I will post a link of the kit I got and can someone let me know if it will work. Thanks and cant wait to be another success story. I will try to post a picture of the pool later if I can figure it out.
    24' Round Above ground 13,500 gallons
    1.5 HP pump.
    Vinyl Liner
    150sqft Cartridge Filter
    Bottom Drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help a NOOB out, new kit, dirty pool

1.5 HP pump.
    Vinyl Liner
    150sqft Cartridge Filter
    Bottom Drain

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

FC at 3 with zero CYA is fine where it is for the moment. I would start raising the CYA level first.

That kit is great except that it only has the DPD chlorine test, instead of the FAS-DPD chlorine test. DPD only measures FC/CC levels up to 5 (or 10), while FAS-DPD measures levels up to 50.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks for the quick reply, I realized that it only went to 5 when I was on my way home, would this be a problem? Do I only need it that high when shocking and trying to clear the pool? I have a bucket full of 3'' pucks will that work to bring my CYA up?
    1.5 HP pump.
    Vinyl Liner
    150sqft Cartridge Filter
    Bottom Drain

5. Back To Top    #5

You can use trichlor tablets to bring the CYA level up, just keep in mind that they will lower the PH constantly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Once you raise the CYA your shock level will go above 10 ppm so there may be times that you need to measure more than 10 ppm. You can buy just the FAS-DPD test separately.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Ive been having two tablets in the floater for a little over a week now so why isnt their any CYA? The tablets are just about done, I can put two more in their and hopefully raise CYA?
    1.5 HP pump.
    Vinyl Liner
    150sqft Cartridge Filter
    Bottom Drain

8. Back To Top    #8

It takes a lot of trichlor to raise the CYA level.

9. Back To Top    #9

so what will be the quickest?
    1.5 HP pump.
    Vinyl Liner
    150sqft Cartridge Filter
    Bottom Drain

10. Back To Top    #10

Go to your local big name store (that carries pool supplies) and buy "stabilizer" (100% Cyanuric Acid "CYA"). Add it to the pool by pouring into a sock and hanging it in front of one of the returns. I hang mine over the edge and put a rock or heavy object on the open end of the sock.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

11. Back To Top    #11

ok thanks, ill be back when CYA gets up thanks again. Usually takes a few days to read correct?
    1.5 HP pump.
    Vinyl Liner
    150sqft Cartridge Filter
    Bottom Drain

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by jamull2852
    ok thanks, ill be back when CYA gets up thanks again. Usually takes a few days to read correct?
    I've read it takes about a week before it shows up on the test. But if the sock is empty of course you should assume it's in the water and adjust your target FC accordingly.

What is your CC (combined chlorine) level? What does your water look like? Pictures would be great!
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

13. Back To Top    #13

water is blue, two days ago it was swamp green until the 6 gallons of bleach, 6%. Cloudy right now can prolly see about 1.5 ft down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1.5 HP pump.
    Vinyl Liner
    150sqft Cartridge Filter
    Bottom Drain

14. Back To Top    #14

Just bought 5lbs of sanitizer and place in a sock over the jet. hopefuly this will do the trick. Ill report back when I start reading better readings. Thanks guys
    1.5 HP pump.
    Vinyl Liner
    150sqft Cartridge Filter
    Bottom Drain

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by jamull2852
    Just bought 5lbs of sanitizer and place in a sock over the jet. hopefuly this will do the trick. Ill report back when I start reading better readings. Thanks guys
    You do mean stabilizer, right?
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

16. Back To Top    #16

yah same stuff lol, I know it didnt sound right when I was typing it but my 18 month old son wasnt letting me think right
    1.5 HP pump.
    Vinyl Liner
    150sqft Cartridge Filter
    Bottom Drain