Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sooo now I have a beautiful cover?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sooo now I have a beautiful cover?

Thanks to this site and BBB I turned my swamp that I got with my house into a crystal clear and very inviting oasis. Problem now is it's COLD!! lol. Temps are going to get up to the 80's this weekend and I want it to warm up and keep as much heat as possible. What the rule with solar covers? Leave them on 24/7 when not in use? X number of hours a day?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Sooo now I have a beautiful cover?

You can leave the cover on almost all the time if you want to. You will get slightly more heat gain if you take it off while the sun is shining directly on the pool, but the difference isn't all that large. It is good to remove the cover at least an hour or two a week while the sun is on the pool to let the pool breathe, which helps avoid CC problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh wow so it should be on most of the time. Ok thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

I am a strong advocate for the dark blue solar cover. Not only does it help heat and hold the water temp, but I have found that it saves a lot of chlorine when it is on. I use chlorine at a rate of .5 per day when the cover remains on. This has solved my problem of how to add chlorine when I am gone for a week on vacation. No need to enlist anyone to add chlorine if the pool is covered.
    20,000 gallon IG plaster pool
    DE filter
    Raypak 400,000 BTU natural gas heater