Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stabilized vs unstabilized chlorine on the skin.

1. Back To Top    #1

Stabilized vs unstabilized chlorine on the skin.

Yesterday I was wondering what the difference is between getting out of a pool with only an appropriate level of FC and no CYA and a pool with both FC and CYA.

I'm trying to figure out if failing to rinse off in the shower after swimming in a pool with FC: 9 and CYA: 80 is better or worse than failing to rinse after swimming in a pool with FC: 2, CYA: 0

I can think of a few things going on here, drying, oxidizing and higher UV exposure due to 0 water depth.

What effect would this have on your skin as the water dries? I wonder if the equilibrium begins to quickly break down causing the CYA to rapidly release the bound chlorine? It also seems likely that there is more to oxidize on the surface of your skin than in a volume of water which would also cause the CYA to release it's stores.

Just something to ponder....
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Stabilized vs unstabilized chlorine on the skin.

chem geek has the precise answer but I remember that the 2 FC and O CYA setup has MUCH more active chlorine and is tougher on swimwear.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I read in the Taylor Test kits manual that there is some health concerns around CYA in general and especially at over 100ppm and that some jurisdictions do not allow it's use at all ..just something else to ponder
    Glenn - Pickering, Ontario
    Circa 1980 Vinyl In-ground 80,000 Ltrs. ~ K2006 Kit ~ Hayward Pump/Navigator/Sand Filter ~ Raypak 255 Gas Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

From Chemgeeks info, the 2ppm and no CYA is way over the equivalent on the Chlorine/CYA chart. In a pool with no CYA you would have an equivalent if you had 0.1ppm free chlorine. I have no CYA in my pool and run with 0.2ppm free chlorine (I am using/testing a replacement for CYA)

5. Back To Top    #5

The practical difference is very very small. Without CYA there is a slightly higher chance of having a chlorine smell after you get out, and otherwise you would be hard pressed to notice a difference. The chlorine will all break down and turn to salt in seconds, or minutes at most, even with CYA. And even the quantities of salt are too small to be noticeable.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The practical difference is very very small. Without CYA there is a slightly higher chance of having a chlorine smell after you get out, and otherwise you would be hard pressed to notice a difference. The chlorine will all break down and turn to salt in seconds, or minutes at most, even with CYA. And even the quantities of salt are too small to be noticeable.
    I was wondering whether it is even necessary to rinse off after swimming in water with most of the chlorine bound by CYA. If it were to remain stable it shouldn't cause any irritation at all.

Looking at the PoolEquations spreadsheet I notice that at my CYA level of 80 and FC of 9 I have:

OCl- (as ppm Cl2): 0.052
    HOCl (as ppm Cl2): 0.057

Thats only 0.109ppm total (am I doing that right?)

I was mainly concerned about all of the bound chlorine being released all at once. I realize it would be used up oxidizing your skin very quickly but thats precisely what I'm trying to avoid.
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

7. Back To Top    #7

You will never notice it. The amount of chlorine involved is tiny compared to the amount of organic material involved.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Durhamhouses
    I read in the Taylor Test kits manual that there is some health concerns around CYA in general and especially at over 100ppm and that some jurisdictions do not allow it's use at all ..just something else to ponder

Do you happen to have a link? or reference to which manual?
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

Though it is true that chlorine with CYA on the skin will react more slowly, that isn't usually the only factor. You usually continue to sweat so in practice it isn't the reaction rate that is so important but rather the total chlorine capacity, so that would be the FC level. Assuming there is enough sweat or other compounds on the skin for chlorine to oxidize, then it is the FC that matters, independent of CYA, because that's how much Combined Chlorine (CC) will be produced, such as monochloramine or other compounds that smell. So getting out of a pool with no CYA might have a brief peak of smell, but in a pool with CYA and a higher FC there might be a less intense smell that continues longer.

So while in the pool it is the FC/CYA ratio that is relevant to the rate of reactions on swimsuits and skin, once you get out it's more about capacity or FC for the final affects of chlorine. Also, as the water evaporates, the chlorine will become more concentrated. So in theory, the higher FC may bleach out the swimsuits more, but this is probably a fairly small effect compared to being in a pool with no CYA. From my wife's experience with her swimsuits, I would say that having no CYA in the pool water during an hour or so of swimming is more relevant than the hours outside the pool until she rinses the swimsuit (which she always does). If she never rinsed the swimsuits, then the higher FC might become more noticeable.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b

Taylor Part # 2004B "Pool & Spa Water Chemistry"
    Circa 1980 Vinyl In-ground 80,000 Ltrs. ~ K2006 Kit ~ Hayward Pump/Navigator/Sand Filter ~ Raypak 255 Gas Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b

Taylor Part # 2004B "Pool & Spa Water Chemistry"
    Thanks, unfortunately could not find it for download. Do you mind sharing the specific concern Taylor cautions readers regarding CYA usage?
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

12. Back To Top    #12

dmanb2b,
    What they are most likely talking about is people who have CYA around 100 and still maintain FC around 1 to 3 just like always. That can be very problematic. There are indeed some laws about CYA levels in public pools, with some areas limiting CYA to 100, and others outlawing CYA completely. Again these are based on failing to understand the FC/CYA relationship.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks Jason. That's exactly why I questioned the reference. That makes sense.

14. Back To Top    #14

Jason has it right for the most part but it does briefly mention toxicity as well. While saying no known cases have been heard of, CYA poisoning is a concern in some states ...but I couldn't find any other pool related references on the web when searching google on "Cyanuric Acid toxicity". I tried scanning it but its grey print on blue paper and I'm too lazy to transcribe it.

15. Back To Top    #15

This document gives a summary of toxicity data for Cyanuric Acid. Though it isn't something that one would want to ingest in concentrated form, it's not toxic when diluted and it has minimal skin absorption.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

16. Back To Top    #16

Imagine all those people testing with strips on "pool store" pools using pucks and cal hypo, etc.... mine last year. Who knows what my CYA really was.

I used trichlor 1" tabs and cal hypo for about 2 weeks or so after opening AND I probably have 2000 gallons or so of newly added tap water. My CYA is still above 90 after almost 2 weeks of no trichlor or cal hypo. But I also have the solar cover on most of the time.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]