Backwash Valve Problem - AAAH!

May 26, 2011
My backwash valve is stuck! The result is that water is leaking out through the backwash line whenever the filter pump is on.

I have a push/pull valve that will not close completely no matter how hard I pull on it. It seems that it is hitting something inside the valve body. I have tried to remove the piston rod assembly, but it will not come out. Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem? Any advice besides calling a pool guy?

Thank you!

Welcome to TFP!!

IMO, just another reason not to like push/ pull valves :twisted:

With the limited few p/ p valves I've been forced to work on, this problem is caused by one of the internal shaft o-rings coming out of it's slot and jamming the shaft. I wish i could tell you the fix, but I've always ended up having to twist the handle and pull it out by brute force.

I was afraid of that. I have been using so much force to try to pull out this assembly that I'm actually lifting the entire sand filter off the ground. It won't budge. I guess the only way to fix it is to cut the PVC and remove the entire valve and replace it with a new one.

Thanks for the input guys!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.