Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwash Valve Problem - AAAH!

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwash Valve Problem - AAAH!

My backwash valve is stuck! The result is that water is leaking out through the backwash line whenever the filter pump is on.

I have a push/pull valve that will not close completely no matter how hard I pull on it. It seems that it is hitting something inside the valve body. I have tried to remove the piston rod assembly, but it will not come out. Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem? Any advice besides calling a pool guy?

Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Backwash Valve Problem - AAAH!

You're most likely going to have to remove it from the plumbing and clean it out. Sounds like a peice of debris is stuck in it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Coastalish 'down easter'

Welcome to TFP!!

IMO, just another reason not to like push/ pull valves

With the limited few p/ p valves I've been forced to work on, this problem is caused by one of the internal shaft o-rings coming out of it's slot and jamming the shaft. I wish i could tell you the fix, but I've always ended up having to twist the handle and pull it out by brute force.
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

I was afraid of that. I have been using so much force to try to pull out this assembly that I'm actually lifting the entire sand filter off the ground. It won't budge. I guess the only way to fix it is to cut the PVC and remove the entire valve and replace it with a new one.

Thanks for the input guys!