Water level after rain????

oasis1

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Hi, the water level in our pool is not quite up to the top screws of the skimmer... is that okay? Will the water still circulate properly? we've gotten a ton of rain lately!!!! If I need to drain it, how is that done? can I just remove the plug from the back of the filter and let it drain that way? How long?

How long is a visual measurement... drain until you can see the skimmer again (1/2 submerged is probably the best height)
You could also start a hose siphon so you can do more to locate the water away from your pool pad and walls

Are you concerned about the pool overflowing? It can't, given how the skimmer fits on an AGP. Excess water will overflow the skimmer and splash on the ground below. I put some pavers under the skimmer on my AGP to guide the overflow away from the side of the pool.

You still get circulation even with a very full pool but you don't get as much surface skimming action because the weir action is reduced in a very full pool.

Rather than draining the water, why not use all that free water to backwash your filter? I'm making a guess here that you have a sand filter. Whether it needs it or not, backwashing and rinsing it doesn't hurt and it puts the excess water to good use. When you backwash, be sure to go through a rinse cycle for a good 30 seconds to pack the sand back down, otherwise it'll shoot into your pool when you set to filter or circulate. Ask me how I know this :)

Or if your rain, like our recent monsoons, dumped a lot of dirt in the pool and you have muddy, dusty patches on the bottom, you can vacuum to waste which also sucks up inordinate amounts of water.

AnnaK said:
When you backwash, be sure to go through a rinse cycle for a good 30 seconds to pack the sand back down, otherwise it'll shoot into your pool when you set to filter or circulate. Ask me how I know this :)

Or if you don't have a rinse cycle like mine, just let it sit for 30 seconds for the sand to settle before turning the pump back on.

With 150sqft filter, my guess is this is a cartridge filter. You can do as you described on the pump or for a fast drain you can also put your vacum hose and vacum head in the pool...submerge it under water, cap the other end with your hand and sling it back over your pool wall to drain...should take 5 mins tops to drop the water level 1" or so. Just don't go anywhere as it will drain quickly :shock:

A ha! I learned something here. I kept wondering last fall when I got a tiny bit lazy and got a little touch of algae where the sediment was coming from in the bottom of the pool. I'm guessing now that it was sand.. was too cold to get in and put my fingers on it but looked a lot like sand to me. Not a lot of it there, but enough to drive me crazy. Guessing Hubby didn't run the rinse cycle long enough and spilled a little sand with each backwash. Now I know to make sure it gets the full amount of time or at least sits for a bit before cycling back into the pool.

I love this place!

dmanb2b said:
With 150sqft filter, my guess is this is a cartridge filter. You can do as you described on the pump or for a fast drain you can also put your vacum hose and vacum head in the pool...submerge it under water, cap the other end with your hand and sling it back over your pool wall to drain...should take 5 mins tops to drop the water level 1" or so. Just don't go anywhere as it will drain quickly :shock:

That's what we did, worked perfectly and fast!!!! I would of never thought of using the vacuum hose!!! thanks :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.