Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water level after rain????

1. Back To Top    #1

Water level after rain????

Hi, the water level in our pool is not quite up to the top screws of the skimmer... is that okay? Will the water still circulate properly? we've gotten a ton of rain lately!!!! If I need to drain it, how is that done? can I just remove the plug from the back of the filter and let it drain that way? How long?
    15x30x54 AquaLeader Sentinelle AGP
    2 HP 2 Speed Hayward SwimPro Voyager Pump
    Hayward SwimPro Voyager 150 sq. ft. Filter
    Hayward H series millivolt 150 btu Heater
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water level after rain????

As long as it's not above the top of the skimmer you're ok. If you need to drain some out, you can do as you say, or if there's a hose bib on the system you can let it out that way.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

How long is a visual measurement... drain until you can see the skimmer again (1/2 submerged is probably the best height)
    You could also start a hose siphon so you can do more to locate the water away from your pool pad and walls
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you concerned about the pool overflowing? It can't, given how the skimmer fits on an AGP. Excess water will overflow the skimmer and splash on the ground below. I put some pavers under the skimmer on my AGP to guide the overflow away from the side of the pool.

You still get circulation even with a very full pool but you don't get as much surface skimming action because the weir action is reduced in a very full pool.

Rather than draining the water, why not use all that free water to backwash your filter? I'm making a guess here that you have a sand filter. Whether it needs it or not, backwashing and rinsing it doesn't hurt and it puts the excess water to good use. When you backwash, be sure to go through a rinse cycle for a good 30 seconds to pack the sand back down, otherwise it'll shoot into your pool when you set to filter or circulate. Ask me how I know this

Or if your rain, like our recent monsoons, dumped a lot of dirt in the pool and you have muddy, dusty patches on the bottom, you can vacuum to waste which also sucks up inordinate amounts of water.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    When you backwash, be sure to go through a rinse cycle for a good 30 seconds to pack the sand back down, otherwise it'll shoot into your pool when you set to filter or circulate. Ask me how I know this
    Or if you don't have a rinse cycle like mine, just let it sit for 30 seconds for the sand to settle before turning the pump back on.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

With 150sqft filter, my guess is this is a cartridge filter. You can do as you described on the pump or for a fast drain you can also put your vacum hose and vacum head in the pool...submerge it under water, cap the other end with your hand and sling it back over your pool wall to drain...should take 5 mins tops to drop the water level 1" or so. Just don't go anywhere as it will drain quickly
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

A ha! I learned something here. I kept wondering last fall when I got a tiny bit lazy and got a little touch of algae where the sediment was coming from in the bottom of the pool. I'm guessing now that it was sand.. was too cold to get in and put my fingers on it but looked a lot like sand to me. Not a lot of it there, but enough to drive me crazy. Guessing Hubby didn't run the rinse cycle long enough and spilled a little sand with each backwash. Now I know to make sure it gets the full amount of time or at least sits for a bit before cycling back into the pool.

I love this place!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    With 150sqft filter, my guess is this is a cartridge filter. You can do as you described on the pump or for a fast drain you can also put your vacum hose and vacum head in the pool...submerge it under water, cap the other end with your hand and sling it back over your pool wall to drain...should take 5 mins tops to drop the water level 1" or so. Just don't go anywhere as it will drain quickly

That's what we did, worked perfectly and fast!!!! I would of never thought of using the vacuum hose!!! thanks
    15x30x54 AquaLeader Sentinelle AGP
    2 HP 2 Speed Hayward SwimPro Voyager Pump
    Hayward SwimPro Voyager 150 sq. ft. Filter
    Hayward H series millivolt 150 btu Heater
    TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Glad it worked
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator