backwash port

Jeff74

Mar 10, 2010
Huntington, WV
I am filling the pool up with water to operating levels and I have noticed that the backwash opening has water dribbling out. I didnt notice this happening last year and this is only our 2nd year opening with a brand new AGP setup. Also, how imperative is it that the pump/filter be completely level on the ground?

Not terribly imperative but it should be close. The leaking is from the multiport spider gasket. You can try moving the handle around to a few different settings and see if it'll seat but if not, you can easily replace it.

Depending on your set-up, you could temporarily stop the leak by plugging the backwash port.

I assume this is 1.5" plumbing, so you want an SPX710-D multiport gasket - if it needs to be replaced.(just make sure you get the 5 spoke gasket and not the 6 spoke - for whatever idiotic reason, the 5 and 6 spoke gaskets have the same part # :hammer: )

Well, the dripping seems to have stopped for now. I still might take the top off and see what is going on underneath. I did find that the pressure gauge is not working though. Can you just pick these things up anywhere or is it a special pool water pressure?

And I might have another problem that I just noticed. I moved my pump and filter away from my pool, ran some Sch 40 PVC and hard plumbed everything. I turn the pump on, it seems to be circulating correctly, except in the pump basket, it appears to be acting like it does when you vacuum, with the water swishing at the top of the lid, instead of a quiet movement. We did lose some sand when we moved the filter, would that have anything to do with it? Does the pump need to be primed? What is the best way to do that?

There really wasnt alot of stuff that I vacuumed. I took the cover off, water was pretty clear, only a few leaves managed to find their way in. I vacuumed it up, emptied the skimmer basket and all seemed to be good. There is a small drip on the suction side of the pump where the fitting that goes into the pump. Would this small of a leak cause loss of pressure and cause it not to prime? I did move the pump further from the pool. I read that does affect it priming. I moved it about 15 feet from the previous location.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes a small air leak on the suction side will do exactly that. I don't think the increased distance from the pool should be a problem, 1.5 hp is a lot of pump! Take the leaky fitting apart and put a generous amount of teflon pipe dope on the threads then put it back together and tighten 1/4 turn past hand tight. Also make sure the pump drain plug is tight!

Jeff-

RE: Pressure gauge-

I copied this from another post. You can get the gauge at a home improvement store. But if you're going to the pool store to get silly lube anyway, you can also get one there.

Actually Lowes and HD both carry pressure gauges. Just not in the pool section.

They are in the plumbing section with the well pumps and such. The same gauge is used on residential well systems. If you look in the area with the pressure switches and blow off valves, there are pressure gauges there too. They come with two sizes of threads. If I am not mistaken you want the 1/4" threads. The teflon tape is in the same section. A roll costs about a buck.

Wrap 4-5 turns of teflon tape on the threads of the valve. Turn it in hand tight, then CAREFULLY snug it up with a wrench. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN or you could crack the filter housing. If you get it snug and it weeps, take it out and replace the tape adding a turn or two more. Try again. It's the kind of thing that you need a knack for, not hard, but might need a little trial and error if you've never done it before.

It seems the little dribbling leak in the suction side of the pump was the problem. All is well, except for a couple other small drips on the other side. Hopefully some glue will take care of that. Now all I need is a new gauge. Thanks all!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.