Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to compare liquid chlorine %

1. Back To Top    #1

How to compare liquid chlorine %

I don't use a lot of liquid chlorine, but when I need it I want to get the best price for the % of chlorine. In the past I have used mostly Clorox, which I understand in 6%. I can get 15% Ch for $3.99/gal at Menards or 12.5% for $3.61/gal or 10% for $18.55/5gal. Clorox is $2.49 for 182oz at Sam's Club. How can I compare these prices?
    24ft AGP 52in deep ~13,500 gal
    Hayward Sand Filter 250 lbs
    SWG
    1.5 HP pump

425 gal stand alone QCA Hot Tub 15-20 yrs old

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to compare liquid chlorine %

TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The simplest number to compare is the price per oz*ppm.

182 oz of 6% for $2.49 is 2.49/(182*6)=0.00228 per oz*ppm.
    128 oz of 12.5% for $3.99 is 3.99/(128*12.5)=0.00249 per oz*ppm
    5 gal of 10% for $18.55 is 18.55/(5*128*10)=0.00289 per oz*ppm

So the 6% is the best deal (unless I made a mistake).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Keep in mind that the higher % liquid chlorine is likely not at the advertised percentage when you buy it. LC degrades very very quickly. My tests of LC sold as 14% by a local pool store tested out at between 9 and 10%. I use it because a) it's convenient and b) I don't have those many bleach bottles to dispose of. Yes, I might save a few pennies if I shopped around for good prices on Clorox but it's not worth the gas and the hassle for the small amount of savings.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

5. Back To Top    #5

I created a Bleach Cost Comparison spreadsheet (Google Docs link) some may find useful. Perhaps we can start adding sources to see what's cheapest and where.

If anyone wants the original Excel file for their own use please PM me.
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

6. Back To Top    #6

If you want to be more accurate about this, then you need to compare similar units and unfortunately bleach uses % weight of sodium hypochlorite while chlorinating liquid generally uses Trade % which is the % volume of Available Chlorine. So when comparing bleach to chlorinating liquid, note that 6% bleach is really 6.17% Trade (other strength bleaches are scaled about the same by 1.028 since they have similar density) so it's somewhat better than you'd think if comparing directly to chlorinating liquid. Of course, chlorinating liquid concentration can vary because it loses strength faster than bleach so you may not be getting what you think.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    If you want to be more accurate about this, then you need to compare similar units and unfortunately bleach uses % weight of sodium hypochlorite while chlorinating liquid generally uses Trade % which is the % volume of Available Chlorine. So when comparing bleach to chlorinating liquid, note that 6% bleach is really 6.17% Trade (other strength bleaches are scaled about the same by 1.028 since they have similar density) so it's somewhat better than you'd think if comparing directly to chlorinating liquid. Of course, chlorinating liquid concentration can vary because it loses strength faster than bleach so you may not be getting what you think.
    I've made the sheet editable by the public so feel free to make any adjustments.
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

8. Back To Top    #8

I noticed that the Clorox price at Sam's is ~2.50/gal as well. I will probably get GV at walmart assuming that the % is the same. Which I believe has been stated in other threads. A local pool store sells 10% LC, buy 3 get 1 free type of deal. Same price as Menards (minus the 4th one free). I would need to double check though.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]