Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE Filter issue

1. Back To Top    #1

DE Filter issue

Hello all,

Just got my 24" Above ground pool running. Have noticed that when I turn the pump off, after a few minutes a white cloud (which I am presuming is DE water mix) backflows and fills my pump strainer basket about halfway. No DE coming in from the filter, or expelling from the return, when running or off.

I have a Clearwater II DE Filter with a Hi=Flo 2 speed Pump. Whenever the pump is running, the cloud disappears. There are not any air leaks in the basket, it stays fully primed.

I called our local pool store and talked to their repair dept. They are fairly reputable, been in business for 40 + yrs as well. He mentioned it was some sort of flap in the filter that failed(though I have no idea where this could be), and that it was not an issue and he wouldn't repair.

While I appreciate them not trying to get a service call out of it, not having things work correctly is in direct conflict with my TYPE A perso.

Does any of the experts have any insight on this as well. I should would appreciate the help and reassurance.

Thanks!
    24' AG Doughboy w/ 5'8 dish bottom, CWII DE Filter, 1.5 hayward 2 speed pump, Aquatrol SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: DE Filter issue

Can you detect any pressure side water leaks when the pump is running?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello,

There is a very small drip coming from one of the unions on my SWCG. Wasn't sure if that was enough to cause an issue like this (as I had the same leak last year with no issues)
    24' AG Doughboy w/ 5'8 dish bottom, CWII DE Filter, 1.5 hayward 2 speed pump, Aquatrol SWG.

4. Back To Top    #4

If a little air is getting into the filter it will back out and cause the issue you're seeing when you shut the pump off. I'd do a cursory check of the pump basket lid to see if there are any air bubbles getting in and clean and lube it. If the filter has a manual air bleed I'd open it and see if any air comes out while it's running.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

There is a very small drip coming from one of the unions on my SWCG.
    Yeah, like bama said, that may be enough to let air into the system and let the water start backing up through the pump.

Sealing that leak may eliminate or at least help your issue.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Hello,

Pump lid is air tight with a new, lubed O ring. No air comes out the bleeder valve. I'll take care of the SWCG drip and see if it helps and post back.

Thanks all--it is a fairly simple system that is frsutrating to troubleshoot.

7. Back To Top    #7

hello, usually in the filter where the union connects to the pump there is a one way valve to stop this problem. this will occasionally happen is you dont change this valve every 3-5 years or the valve could have been eaten up by chlorine. sounds stupid.
    Cole Pocius
    15'x30'x52" AG, 1 HP Hayward Power Flo, Hayward per-flex D.E filter, Aqua luminator. chlorine, baracuda beta. vinyl liner, 12,500 k gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

What was the outcome?
    18' x 52" AGP 2hp 2 speed pump with Clearwater II 67 GPM DE filter
    200 gallon EZ SPA 1hp 2 speed GREEN pump