Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What if your colorblind

1. Back To Top    #1

What if your colorblind

Sister-in-law is finally buying a pool, when it comes to testing what alternitives does she have besides going to the pool store?
    12X24 Oval AGP +/- 7100 gal
    Clearwater 100 cartridge filter
    Hi-Flo 2sp 1hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What if your colorblind

16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Which grade of colorblind is she? By the way, it's very odd for a female to be colorblind.

I'm red/green colorblind and have no problems with the tests in the TF-100. The only one that gives me problems is the pH test and it's not so bad that I can't figure it out.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

There are many different kinds of color blindness. Several of them can still read the PH test results. If not, the ColorQ, as woodyp suggested, is a reasonable alternative despite it's quirks.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't know what kind, was told she had eye problems since she was young. I will forward the link of the kit shown .Thanks
    Hi-Flo 2sp 1hp pump

6. Back To Top    #6

What if your colorblind

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Which grade of colorblind is she? By the way, it's very odd for a female to be colorblind.

I'm red/green colorblind and have no problems with the tests in the TF-100. The only one that gives me problems is the pH test and it's not so bad that I can't figure it out.
    I too am red color blind and can usually test everything with confidence besides pH which takes a bit of concentration and sometimes another opinion. I find testing at sunset works the best as the sky is a neutral blue and no shadows are cast.
    25,000gal Plaster
    Pentair Nautilus NS-60 DE Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    http://www.lamotte.com/pages/pool/colorqs.html
    Look into those
    How reliable are those?
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

The ColorQ is generally good, but it is quirky. None of the tests work when FC is above 10. Very high CH levels can throw the readings off. The CH and CYA tests have less precision than you really want. Some people also have problems with doing the CYA test correctly and get incorrect results. If you understand the issues it is very usable, but the TF100 and K-2006 are definitely better for most people.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Even being colorblind I'd recommend the TF-100 or K-2006 kits. As I said, the biggest problem I have is the pH test and it just takes a little staring and comparing.

The biggest issue I've had all my life is convincing non-colorblind people that I'm colorblind, not blind. I see colors, they just don't look the same to me as they do to you. Comparing colors is a lot easier than trying to tell someone what a color is.

Even if she has a problem with the pH test she can get a cheap ph meter to do that for her.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

$23 for a ph stick meter sounds like a time saver to me. Anyone use one and how do they match up with kit #'s
    Hi-Flo 2sp 1hp pump

11. Back To Top    #11

I have a Hanna pH meter and I used it a good bit when I first got it but it requires frequent calibration and now I just use the pH test in the K-1000 kit with my TF-100. It's easier than the meter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Settles That-Thanks
    Hi-Flo 2sp 1hp pump