How are my numbers?

Mar 25, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We had some trouble getting our FC & CYA numbers up in the beginning due to misunderstanding about SWG. Pools been up about 8 days now. Had our FC at 5 & CYA at 50 since this weekend. Still working on our TA & PH. Had removed our skimmer for a day or two but have put it back. Noticed a brown rim, that I believed was because the skimmer wasnt pulling the gunk from the surface. I brushed the gunk off the rim yesterday but today the water looks a little cloudy but am not certain. Take a look at my numders & tell me what you think.

FC 5, should this be higher?
CC 0
TC 5
PH 7.8 - 8.2, I plan to add MA tonight & hope to get down to 7.2 by tomorrow
TA 220 last weekend, trying to bring it down slowly with MA
CH 480 last weekend
CYA 50, should I bump this to 70?
It's nearly 100 degrees here soon

Yep, as you said, lower your pH first.

FC 5 is fine; however, I suggest you do an overnight FC loss test to determine if the clouding is algae and if you need to shock (or not). If you don't pass the test, it would be easier and cheaper to shock the pool (w/bleach/liquid chlorine) before you raise your CYA level.

The cloudiness is probably, at least partly, due to the high pH, TA and Calcium levels. You should maintain the pH at about 7.2 to 7.4 until your TA gets down to about 70 ppm.

Overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1ppm. As of 5:30 am my FC was at 4ppm. Here are my additional questions.

What level do I want to shock to with a CYA only at 50? I couldnt find this on Pool School

With the above recommended level of shock how long is a reasonable amount of time before swimming?

This is my kids 1st day of summer vacation with his 1st pool & with a friend coming over this afternoon. Should/can I add just enough chlorine to bring the FC to 5-6 then shock tonight & going forward until the water is clear & FC loss test is good?

Thanks in advance.

Butterfly said:
Shock level is 20 for a CYA of 50. See the CYA/Chlorine Chart in Pool School. Also link in my sig.

I did see the chlorine level for CYA of 50 but wasnt sure to use that because we do have a SWG. Thanks for the info for shock level of 20.

You had mentioned in your first reply to take care of the high ph first. Does the high PH affect the Overnight PH Loss Test?

Last night I added MA & brought the PH down to about 7.2. Should I still shock soon?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.