Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water in the light fixture

1. Back To Top    #1

Northern Philly Burbs

Water in the light fixture

This season, after some pool replastering and a long acid bath to fix the spotty job they did, I have noticed that there is water within the fixture ~2/3 way up. It's works just fine and I know that it has been on at least 30 min or longer at a time without any obvious sequela, before I noticed it.

Is this a problem if I use it? It is at least 6 years old and maybe up to 20 years.
    25000 gal inground freeform plaster pool with spillover hot tub. 1.5 hp PacFab Challenger pump, Hayward DE filter, Natural Gas heater, BBB convert 2009, Aquasol solar panels on ground rack 2010, PS-4 controller 2010, Rocky roller, SWG 2011.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Orange, California

Re: Water in the light fixture

At 2/3 of the way up, I'm surprised you didn't short the light and pop a breaker. The water line is above the socket at 2/3, which is definitely not good. I had a water seepage problem with my light and it ended up causing a short at around 1/2 full. Water was leaking in through the cord in the back, and once it shorted, the resin seal was toast. Ended up having to replace the light. I would recommend pulling the light out, and draining it. Maybe the rubber gasket needs replacing.
    27K Gal. In-ground 20x36 Plaster (Custom Curved Shape)
    1 Hp WisperFlo Pump; Hayward AQR15 AquaRite SWG, Purex Triton 60 Sq Ft DE Filter (FNSP 60); Pentair MasterTemp Heater