new pool owner struggling with pool chemistry

May 19, 2011
Hardy, Virginia
Hi all. Quick question.... I finished filling my 12000 gallon pool last weekend and shocked it right away. I added borax and then washing soda per the pool calculator. Ph today was 8.2 so I added ph down from walmart. My FC is 1, only because my stabilizer hasn't kicked in and I'm chasing it constantly. Also added calcium because it was low at 30. Am I doing this right? Also - the pool calculator gives the option of ounces by weight and volume. Forgive my ignorance, but which one do I use for dry chemicals? I've been going by volume ( I use measuring cups).
Thanks so much for any responses :)

I usually put my dry chemicals in a measuring cup and go by the oz. measurement. If you have a scale, I guess you could go by weight.

First things first. Do you have a CYA reading? Let's get that and also a CC reading if you can so we can determine if you even need to be shocking. I was always told that the priority was FC and CC, then the other things could be dialed in accordingly once you get a handle on those.

You've come to the right place. This was my first year with a pool and the advice I've gotten here has lead me to a pool that looks great and doesn't require much in the way of maintenance other than the usual debris removal.

I usually adjust the pH first, add chlorine next, then CYA. Then I adjust TA and CH if indicated.

Josh gives good advice. Check a CC. Lets see if you really need to shock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.