Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new pool owner struggling with pool chemistry

1. Back To Top    #1

Hardy, Virginia

new pool owner struggling with pool chemistry

Hi all. Quick question.... I finished filling my 12000 gallon pool last weekend and shocked it right away. I added borax and then washing soda per the pool calculator. Ph today was 8.2 so I added ph down from walmart. My FC is 1, only because my stabilizer hasn't kicked in and I'm chasing it constantly. Also added calcium because it was low at 30. Am I doing this right? Also - the pool calculator gives the option of ounces by weight and volume. Forgive my ignorance, but which one do I use for dry chemicals? I've been going by volume ( I use measuring cups).
    Thanks so much for any responses
    15' wide x30' long x 4.5' deep vinyl above ground, 13,500 gallons, hayward dream line sand filter, hayward power-flo lx pump 1.0 hp, lil shark cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

South Central Kentucky

Re: new pool owner struggling with pool chemistry

I usually put my dry chemicals in a measuring cup and go by the oz. measurement. If you have a scale, I guess you could go by weight.

First things first. Do you have a CYA reading? Let's get that and also a CC reading if you can so we can determine if you even need to be shocking. I was always told that the priority was FC and CC, then the other things could be dialed in accordingly once you get a handle on those.

You've come to the right place. This was my first year with a pool and the advice I've gotten here has lead me to a pool that looks great and doesn't require much in the way of maintenance other than the usual debris removal.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

I usually adjust the pH first, add chlorine next, then CYA. Then I adjust TA and CH if indicated.

Josh gives good advice. Check a CC. Lets see if you really need to shock.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4
    Orange, California

By the way, I'm pretty certain that dry products are typically measured by weight, not volume. Volume is for liquids.
    27K Gal. In-ground 20x36 Plaster (Custom Curved Shape)
    1 Hp WisperFlo Pump; Hayward AQR15 AquaRite SWG, Purex Triton 60 Sq Ft DE Filter (FNSP 60); Pentair MasterTemp Heater