Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: In ground pop up heads

1. Back To Top    #1

Phoenix, Arizona

In ground pop up heads

I have 20+ year old Shatsta pool w/in ground pop-ups. I do not feel thay work well. Is it possible to bypass the pop-ups and attach a vacuum cleaner (like a Barracuda G4) and if so, how?
    near Houston, TX
    18x36 AGP, 150# Waterway Sand filter, Pentair Dynamo 3/4 HP two speed pump, Solar Bear solar panel

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD
    Welcome to TFP!

It is almost always possible to bypass an in floor cleaner though it depends on how your system is plumbed. Hopefully you have a regular return, in addition to the pop-ups. Adding a Barracuda G4 is simple enough once you turn the pop-ups off, just follow the regular directions that come with it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Hi and welcome to TFP!!

I am a little reluctant to advise someone to abandon a system which has ~ 20 +/- holes in the floor with no good way to plug them However, if you would tell us how many regular (wall) returns you have and what suction ports you have (skimmer(s) MD (there ought be a MD!), perhaps a designated vac port - I may be able to come up with something - also what are the pump and filter sizes and styles? What may be happening is that the screen/ filter inside your actuator valve is clogged and/ or the springs on the pop ups have deteriorated. I'm certified to work on Caretaker 99 systems, now Polaris, but I think they all work the same. If you'd let us know a little more about the setup of your pool and system, we'll work out what good advise we can proffer {-for Dave :P -}

I'm here almost daily and will keep my 'eye' on this question and help you all I can Again, welcome to TFP

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

4. Back To Top    #4

Coastalish 'down easter'

Thanks for putting my reply under the right question
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)