Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Frog system vs. Salt Water Chlorination system?

Frog system vs. Salt Water Chlorination system?

New to the forum so sorry if this has been covered before. Looking to install an inground pool and choosing between Frog vs Salt Chlorination system. Can anyone share the pros and cons of each?

I was reading issues with the Frog and stabilizer levels getting too high to where chlorine levels do not work to sanitize. I have also heard that salt systems can be corosive to operate.

Which is less maintenance? Which is more cost effective to operate?

Many thanks from a Pool rookie.

Florida Pool Service Guy
    15k Kidney Diamond Brite
    Hayward C-1200 Cartridge Filter
    Sta-Rite Dura-Glass 1.5hp Pump
    Pentair Rainbow 320 Chlorinator
    Heliocol Solar Panels

Re: Frog system vs. Salt Water Chlorination system?

Welcome to TFP!

The Frog adds metals to the water which can cause unsightly stains. Meanwhile, a SWG (salt system) is very popular around here and works wonderfully for the great majority of people. Salt corrosion is really only an issue for a few of the softer kinds of natural stone.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Hi, welcome to TFP! If you go to the bottom left corner of the page and google "mineral frog" you will pull up a lot of threads about various mineral pool systems. Bottom line is minerals can add things to your water that can be problematic over time, and they do not eliminate the need for chlorine to sanitize the pool. These systems can also be very expensive to operate.

Saltwater systems can be corrosive to certain materials over time, such as soft natural stones. If you are interested building a saltwater chlorinated pool, look for a builder with experience designing for saltwater systems. Also post questions here regarding building specs and there will be several experienced pool owners and builders who will be happy to answer your questions.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21" round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

I am a Frog owner. I abandoned their "mineral" pack after the first season and just used it as a tri-chlor feeder. You can get chlorine feeders that use 1" pr 3" tri-chlor tabs for less money and operating expense. The only thing their mineral system had going for it is that it is not copper (they use silver instead) so you don't see green hair. I did not find their claims for extra low chlorine levels to be practical in an outdoor pool world.

I just switched to SWG and borates. So far.... happy with the decision but time will tell...
    ____________________________________________________________ ________
    George (7500 gal AG, sand filter, way too busy not to have a Trouble Free Pool)

No comparison if you were to ask me. I would advise that you avoid the mineral systems and go for the gusto on the SWCG!
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT