baq to chlorine switch..hi psi

CaptJoe

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 3, 2010
Bayville, NJ
hi kids, just started the baq to chlorine switch. no chunks yet, just a nice shade of barf green. i have added over the last 3 hours about 6 gals. of 12% bleach. i've had to backwash 3 times and the pressure is building rapidly, as expected?? i know the pump needs to run 24/7, so how do i get thru the nite with the pressure (normal 12psi...backwashed at 30psi) building so quickly?? will this hurt the pump/filter??
readings after 3 hours of slowly adding bleach:
ph...7.2
fc....8
foto taken 2 minutes into conversion

and the pressure is building rapidly, as expected??
Yep, pretty much. Your filter is collecting a lot of junk and that's a drawback for a DE filter.....because it filters the finest, it plugs up the quickest.

In your case, I would shut it off overnight and restart when you can be with it and backwash as needed. There is really no point in running a plugged system......you're not getting anything done.

You wouldn't hurt the pump to run it but you would waste most of the electricity because you won't get any circulation through a clogged DE.

The intervals will become longer between backwashes and you will likely be able to let it run overnight in the near future...perhaps tomorrow night.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.