Millions of tiny red bugs in and around pool and skimmer.

crookm11

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2010
Copperas Cove, Texas
I need some help with the BUGS!!!

To start off here are my pool numbers.
FC: 6
CC: 0
TC: 6
PH: 7.5
CH: 180
TA: 80
CYA: 70

I have millions of these very tiny red bugs all over my skimmer, in the skimmer, in the water, and flying around all over. They hurt when they bite and just down right ichy. Does anyone know what they are and how to get rid of them? I will attach pics in a few.

Re: Millions of tiny red bugs in and around pool and skimmer

Pics of BUGS!!!!

bugs1.jpg

bugs2.jpg

bugs3.jpg

bugs4.jpg

bugs5.jpg

HELP!!!

I had about a billion of those (although VERY bright red) around my pool earlier this year. I figured they were some sort of mites. They went away on their own for me.

We just put our pool up today and it only has about 4 inches of water in it so far, but those little red bugs have appeared...YIKES....they hurt....and they look just like the ones in the pictures someone else did such a great job taking. Soooo...will they just go away by themselves....there weren't so many on the top rail but when I looked around the bottom of the legs, there were quite a few more!

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

RE: Millions of tiny red bugs in and around my pool.

I have same problem, these tiny red bugs have wasp like bodys under microscope, and they fly, they are not spider mites, spider mites do not fly. does anyone know what these are? and how to get rid of them, i cannot swim without being biten/stung by these little buggers. they float on top of the water for hours alive, some appear to have drowned. i am trying to take a picture thru microscope but not any luck yet.

guamguy said:
Maybe adding borates to the water might help. I've read that it is a mild pesticide. Just something to try.

I make a "simple syrup" out of borax, sugar and water that seems to keep my local ant population under control, I dip cotton balls in it and place them in containers around the pool. Maybe a similar solution (minus the sugar) in a spray bottle would get rid of some (and add some borates to your pool water).

I don't know how effective borates in the pool would be because the concentration would be so low, but a higher concentration in a spray bottle might do the trick. I have water spiders that are still alive in 16 ppm chlorine, but I bet a few squirts of mildly diluted bleach would do them in!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.