TA/PH confusion....please help

dorpo75

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 8, 2009
NE Ohio
We are just starting our third year with TFP and so far it has worked wonderfully. I want it to continue to work wonderfully, hence, I need clarification on the PH/TA relationship. For some reason, I have a big mental door shut on this one and am having a hard time coming to terms with what I need to do, what to use and in what order.

Here are my numbers from 5:30pm:

FC 4.5
CC 1.0
TC 5.5
TA 130
PH 7.2
CYA 40 (I finished squeezing the dry CYA out of a sock yesterday and watched it float away into the H2O :wave:
Water temp 74

I understand I need to put in enough chlorine for shock as I have something chewing/attempting to grow in there.

Here is what the pool calculator tells me to do with the TA and PH (I love the calc btw)

(My PH is currently at 7.2)
It says to add either washing soda or borax if I want to get my PH to 7.5
*Note: pH calculations depend on TA and Borate. Results are approximate and can be off significantly for large pH changes. Changing your pH will also change your TA.

TA(currently at 130...up from yesterday's rdg of 120)
Goal: 70 to 90
*To lower TA you reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 with acid and then aerate to increase pH.
Note: Adding baking soda will also raise your pH.

*directly from the calculator.

Please give me direction with this. The pool has been filtering for about 3 hours and the return is allowing the water to break the surface of the water in the pool.
The water is crystal clear and sparkling!!! Another victim of sparklypoolitis :party:

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Listen to what your pool is Showing you. You may be just fine with TA at that level. Mine was at around 170 all last summer no major PH problems. Your PH is fine cause its probably gonna rise on its own. I'd say shock it to eleminate the CC @ 1.0 but that may not even be necessary. I'd bump the old chlorine up just 3 or 4 points and see if it clears with the help of some sunshine. Mine has done that a lot.

thanks. I'll bump my FC up to about 9 or so and check it again tomorrow.

supposed to rain here tomorrow...gosh...what a novel thing, rain in NE ohio this spring. gag me. I am so sick of rain that I ....well, I will save that for another post!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.