Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA/PH confusion....please help

1. Back To Top    #1

TA/PH confusion....please help

We are just starting our third year with TFP and so far it has worked wonderfully. I want it to continue to work wonderfully, hence, I need clarification on the PH/TA relationship. For some reason, I have a big mental door shut on this one and am having a hard time coming to terms with what I need to do, what to use and in what order.

Here are my numbers from 5:30pm:

FC 4.5
    CC 1.0
    TC 5.5
    TA 130
    PH 7.2
    CYA 40 (I finished squeezing the dry CYA out of a sock yesterday and watched it float away into the H2O
    Water temp 74

I understand I need to put in enough chlorine for shock as I have something chewing/attempting to grow in there.

Here is what the pool calculator tells me to do with the TA and PH (I love the calc btw)

(My PH is currently at 7.2)
    It says to add either washing soda or borax if I want to get my PH to 7.5
    *Note: pH calculations depend on TA and Borate. Results are approximate and can be off significantly for large pH changes. Changing your pH will also change your TA.

TA(currently at 130...up from yesterday's rdg of 120)
    Goal: 70 to 90
    *To lower TA you reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 with acid and then aerate to increase pH.
    Note: Adding baking soda will also raise your pH.

*directly from the calculator.

Please give me direction with this. The pool has been filtering for about 3 hours and the return is allowing the water to break the surface of the water in the pool.
    The water is crystal clear and sparkling!!! Another victim of sparklypoolitis

Thanks for any info you can give me.
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA/PH confusion....please help

Are you wanting to lower TA more? What targets are you shooting for?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Just leave your PH at 7.2. There is no reason to raise it to 7.5, as it will drift up on it's own.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Listen to what your pool is Showing you. You may be just fine with TA at that level. Mine was at around 170 all last summer no major PH problems. Your PH is fine cause its probably gonna rise on its own. I'd say shock it to eleminate the CC @ 1.0 but that may not even be necessary. I'd bump the old chlorine up just 3 or 4 points and see if it clears with the help of some sunshine. Mine has done that a lot.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks. I'll bump my FC up to about 9 or so and check it again tomorrow.

supposed to rain here tomorrow...gosh...what a novel thing, rain in NE ohio this spring. gag me. I am so sick of rain that I ....well, I will save that for another post!
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!