Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black Rubbery Strip Between Stairs & Liner Peeled Right Off

1. Back To Top    #1

Black Rubbery Strip Between Stairs & Liner Peeled Right Off

Today in my pool, I noticed a black rubbery thin strip that I presume was acting to prevent water from entering between the stairs and the liner peel right off on both sides of the stairs. It was a very thin black strip. Should I be concerned? I have noticed that my water level seems to have dropped slightly since yesterday despite colder weather, no heater being on, and the pump running minimally. I will perform the bucket test later this week but curious if I should be concerned about the fact that both of these black strips peeled right off.

Thanks
    27x14x6 IG Salt Water Pool
    Raypak 206 NG Heater
    T-Cell-9 Super Chlorinator
    Hayward Tristar 1/2 HP Pump
    Aqua P4 Logic System w/AquaPod
    Cartridge Filter System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black Rubbery Strip Between Stairs & Liner Peeled Right

Those are the gaskets that seal the faceplate. You can try tightening the screws to seal the faceplates, but you do kind of need them to keep the seal.

Let me just ask a quick question, how large were the strips that came off? (if they were ~ 1/8" it's just the overlap that came off, if they were 1+", the entire gasket came off.)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

They were 1/8th of an inch at most. Very thin strips, one on either side of the stairs where the vertical columns keep the liner in place. I presume then that there's an inch of this rubber seal underneath those vertical columns?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Those are the gaskets that seal the faceplate. You can try tightening the screws to seal the faceplates, but you do kind of need them to keep the seal.

Let me just ask a quick question, how large were the strips that came off? (if they were ~ 1/8" it's just the overlap that came off, if they were 1+", the entire gasket came off.)
    Raypak 206 NG Heater
    Cartridge Filter System

4. Back To Top    #4

You got it
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Beauty. Thanks
    Raypak 206 NG Heater
    Cartridge Filter System