Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which SWG to choose?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which SWG to choose?

We'll be getting an inground pool installed in the next month or so. Looking at SWCG units now.
    Pool will be Doughboy 16x24 (AG installed IG) - not sure yet on deep end, but we should end up in the 10k gallon range.

The local pool store is offering the Pentair Intellichlor for about $900. I also see references to CompuPool (CPSC 16 should be OK, right? This one is $500-600). Then there's Aquarite around $800. And then the Intex units around $200. Any others I should consider? What are pros and cons of each unit? Has anyone come across any sort of comparative review anywhere online?
    16x24 oval (12500 gallon) in-ground vinyl Doughboy.
    Pump: Power Pak III 1 HP
    Filter: Sequel II DE

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Which SWG to choose?

I can not really help with a comparison between brands (although I think I saw a brief comparison on another pool forum ... not very helpful in my opinion).

Some people here seem to speak highly of the Hayward. I had one at my last house and going to install one at the new house. I have also read you may be better off going bigger on the system as the cells seem to last longer.

Good Luck
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Which SWG to choose?

Welcome to TFP!

The Intex is very basic and not designed for permanently installed pools, though some people use them that way. The CompuPool has everything you really want and is very affordable. They are fairly new, so we don't have any real long term reports, but initial reviews have been very positive. The AquaRite is one of the top three or four units available. The IntelliChlor is fine, except that if you don't have a Pentair automation system you have much less control over it than you get with the CompuPool or AquaRite.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School