Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rookie at light replacement.....looking for guidance.

1. Back To Top    #1

Rookie at light replacement.....looking for guidance.

Have a broken lense cover on my Pentair Amerlight. I'm confident on the basics......Have thrown the breaker, pulled the fixture and replaced the bulb and lense including a new gasket. Retorqued ring on back per instructions. Ready to reinsert into niche in wall.

Next the plan is to throw the breaker again to cut power, reinstall the fixture in the niche using the same speciality screw in the 12 noon position while winding the excess cable around the back of the fixture.

This is where I get nervous. With noone in the pool I have no problem throwing the breaker back on....and I assume the light will work. What about testing the water to make sure there is no electrical hazard after the work is done? I know the pool was safe before so the niche was most likely installed and grounded correctly......but this is eating at me.

Do you just let the kids back in the water......I'm thinking "no way". Am I paranoid? How could I check and make sure the pool is safe?

1 year in and getting the BBB method down
    continueing to learn

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Rookie at light replacement.....looking for guidance.

Modern light fixtures are very good. About the only thing that can go wrong is if the new gasket doesn't seal completely. That will be obvious, because the light will slowly fill up with water.

There is no easy way to check for current leakage. If you have a multi-meter and are feeling adventurous, you could verify that the retaining ring is connected to the bonding system.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

I am not an electrician. Nevertheless, you made NO changes whatsoever in your system.....all you did was change the bulb. I would feel very confidant. One of the more qualified members could probably say it better.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

You would also likely see air bubbles coming up from the light if the water was entering the fixture.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Coastalish 'down easter'

Quote Originally Posted by jblauert
    You would also likely see air bubbles coming up from the light if the water was entering the fixture.
    On that same line of thought, before you throw the breaker back on, submerge the light for 1 minute and see if water enters the housing. As long as it doesn't, you should be all set to install the light and power it up

Welcome to TFP!!
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the feedback. Re-installed it in the niche last night. Not as easy as I anticipated though. Bouyancy of the light enclosure made it a bit tough to catch the bottom clip on the niche and keep it in place while inserting the top screw.

Once installed I decided to connect a wire to my house grounding rod and tossed the other end in the pool. As expected no problem.

We learrn from experience. Understand there logically should not be a problem.....but as an experienced DIY guy but new to pools, I have seen the unexpected happen before, especially when dealing with new tasks.

Thanks again for the feedback.