too much chlorine please help

May 16, 2011
pool store test showed 1.07 total cl, 5.17 ph and he said alkalinity was low,

i listened to him, added 8 pounds of "sun black algae" treatment and 10 pounds of ph up 7 days ago.
i tested today and
i am showing on my tester a free chlorine of 35ppm, CC of 0 a full 7 days after adding the shock/algea treatment using my new taylor 2006 kit. my ph is high but i read that it is normal when you have a high cl load to show a high ph.
ALK is showing 200 on my test.

his digital machine still shows that my cl is low. ph is 7.7 and alk at around 50

what do i need to do to get the cl down so i can get reliable test?

Re: too much chlorene please help

I think I would take a sample to another pool store to check. Your pool store's results look suspicious to me and I think a 3rd opinion is called for. Also what are you using to test with at home?

i have a taylor 2006 test kit,
I am thinking that the pool store test machine cant read the high cl level and so it is showing low.
I am not really in a hurry just dont think i am getting readings that are correct with the cl at 30ppm+ how long should it take with my SWG off to get the cl levels down to a reasonable concentration from the 30 they are now?
i am in oklahoma and the temps are in the 80 during the day and 50s at night, water temp is 74

Assuming your pool gets full sun and you don't live in Alaska :lol: I would guestimate that it'll take about 8-10 days for your pool to get down to less than 10ppm.

On a side note, your CYA should be reduced.....110 (How did you test that?)is doable but I wouldn't put up with all the issues it brings. About 60-80 is ideal for an SWG pool.

trent1059 said:
i have a taylor 2006 test kit,
I am thinking that the pool store test machine cant read the high cl level and so it is showing low.
I am not really in a hurry just dont think i am getting readings that are correct with the cl at 30ppm+ how long should it take with my SWG off to get the cl levels down to a reasonable concentration from the 30 they are now?
i am in oklahoma and the temps are in the 80 during the day and 50s at night, water temp is 74
I bet the super high FC is bleaching out the test strips they're using!! :lol:

Your CYA definitely needs to be reduced, The cyanuric acid lowers the effectiveness of the FC. Your ideal numbers would be between 30-50. To be honest with you, the only practical way to lower your CYA is to replace water. Good luck to you!

ljacobs1987 said:
Your CYA definitely needs to be reduced, The cyanuric acid lowers the effectiveness of the FC. Your ideal numbers would be between 30-50. To be honest with you, the only practical way to lower your CYA is to replace water. Good luck to you!

LJ, you missed that he has a SWG, so the CYA level that is right for him is higher than you suggest.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.