Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: too much chlorine please help

1. Back To Top    #1

too much chlorine please help

pool store test showed 1.07 total cl, 5.17 ph and he said alkalinity was low,

i listened to him, added 8 pounds of "sun black algae" treatment and 10 pounds of ph up 7 days ago.
    i tested today and
    i am showing on my tester a free chlorine of 35ppm, CC of 0 a full 7 days after adding the shock/algea treatment using my new taylor 2006 kit. my ph is high but i read that it is normal when you have a high cl load to show a high ph.
    ALK is showing 200 on my test.

his digital machine still shows that my cl is low. ph is 7.7 and alk at around 50

what do i need to do to get the cl down so i can get reliable test?
    23000 gallon fiberglass pool
    hayward pro II sand filter with 1 1/2 hp motor and pump
    SWG aqua pro, dolphin diagnostics advantage robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: too much chlorene please help

You can get a chlorine reducer, typically sodium thiosulfate, but is there any reason you are in a hurry to get the FC level down?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I think I would take a sample to another pool store to check. Your pool store's results look suspicious to me and I think a 3rd opinion is called for. Also what are you using to test with at home?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

i have a taylor 2006 test kit,
    I am thinking that the pool store test machine cant read the high cl level and so it is showing low.
    I am not really in a hurry just dont think i am getting readings that are correct with the cl at 30ppm+ how long should it take with my SWG off to get the cl levels down to a reasonable concentration from the 30 they are now?
    i am in oklahoma and the temps are in the 80 during the day and 50s at night, water temp is 74

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

how long should it take with my SWG off to get the cl levels down to a reasonable concentration from the 30 they are now?
    That depends on your CYA level...post it up and we can get a good guestimate.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

CYA 110

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Assuming your pool gets full sun and you don't live in Alaska I would guestimate that it'll take about 8-10 days for your pool to get down to less than 10ppm.

On a side note, your CYA should be reduced.....110 (How did you test that?)is doable but I wouldn't put up with all the issues it brings. About 60-80 is ideal for an SWG pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by trent1059
    i have a taylor 2006 test kit,
    I am thinking that the pool store test machine cant read the high cl level and so it is showing low.
    I am not really in a hurry just dont think i am getting readings that are correct with the cl at 30ppm+ how long should it take with my SWG off to get the cl levels down to a reasonable concentration from the 30 they are now?
    i am in oklahoma and the temps are in the 80 during the day and 50s at night, water temp is 74
    I bet the super high FC is bleaching out the test strips they're using!!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Re: too much chlorine please help

Your CYA definitely needs to be reduced, The cyanuric acid lowers the effectiveness of the FC. Your ideal numbers would be between 30-50. To be honest with you, the only practical way to lower your CYA is to replace water. Good luck to you!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by ljacobs1987
    Your CYA definitely needs to be reduced, The cyanuric acid lowers the effectiveness of the FC. Your ideal numbers would be between 30-50. To be honest with you, the only practical way to lower your CYA is to replace water. Good luck to you!
    LJ, you missed that he has a SWG, so the CYA level that is right for him is higher than you suggest.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

You are right! I agree.