Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liner type ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Liner type ?

I just bought a used 24' 52" high Aqua Leader Illusion from craigslist. The liner that was on the pool was a beaded liner. Do I have to use a beaded liner for this pool or can I go with an overlap or J-Hook? I took a quick look around the net and it seems that the overlap liners are about $100 cheaper. I wouldn't mind saving 100 bucks but the most important thing to me is easy of install and durability. I don't want to try to save a few bucks only to have to put a new liner up in 2 years.

Thanks for the help

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liner type ?

You should be able to use an overlap liner without any problems. They are the same quality as a beaded or j hook liner. They are less expensive since they are easier to manufacture.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

But also might want to think down the line in a few years also.. If you add a deck right next to the rail or to the top-- Beaded is the way to go just for the ease of replacement. Check out pool http://www.poolsupplyworld.com for liners-- I found them to be the cheapest at the time when I replaced mine. I done the J-hook liner Perma 25 .
    24' x52" Sharkline Venture (May 2016) ABG (13,500)
    Hayward S180T15932S --Sand filter/ Flo-Matrix pump pack
    Aquatrol-RJ SWG-- Nitelighter NLMC
    Dolphin E10
    Duraspa G2- Premium hot tub --Rotomold style

4. Back To Top    #4

If cheap and easy is your goal, then overlap is the the choice. If easy with a deck or looks are a part of the decision, then you will want to go with the other options. The beaded and Jhook options have the same tiled look as the Inground pools. Overlaps do not since they are intended to be able to adjust and move around so cannot have borders.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

5. Back To Top    #5

Is thicker better? I see a place offering 20, 25, and 30 gauge liners.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thicker is not necessarily better. I would go middle of the road, but even the 20 gauge liners will probably last as long.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

What is the difference between j hook and beaded?
    24" Round Above Ground 52" high
    Jacuzzi CFR 100 Platinum Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Actually there is a unibead, beaded and tru jhook. The beaded hangs or inserts into a bead receiver. The true jhook has a firm lip type that hooks or hangs over the wall and has a coping strip to hold it on. Both types have the border like inground. The unibead luner can be used either way, the top strip is removed if you want to use with a bead receiver, left on to jhook.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

9. Back To Top    #9

actually we are ordering our new liner from here http://www.linerworld.com/ seems there liners are cheaper in price.
    Overwhelmed
    Pool size: 15' X 48" AG vinyl liner, 5300 gallons, Hayward S166T filter and 1hp pump