Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "546" LED, Screw-In Bulbs on Ebay - Who has one?

1. Back To Top    #1

"546" LED, Screw-In Bulbs on Ebay - Who has one?

I have my pool's one and only (120V, 500W) old-school American Products brand light fixture topside, for a bulb change.

Was thinking about pulling the trigger on a Pentair Intellibrite, but, there is just no way I can justify $500-600 plus.... for a single light.

Pentair sure is mighty proud of those lights. They are real nice, to be sure, but, to me, not $500-600 nice.

Anyway, has anyone here tried the LED "Bulbs" which are offered by various sellers on ebay, the ones that are configured with a standard "edison" type screw base and are shaped like a typical pool floodlight?

Several of these have 546 individual LEDs and appear quite bright.

One example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/546-LED-Color-sw...item20b7df89d3
    38,500 gallon free form pool, Gemstone finish by Burkett's, FNS Plus 60, Pentair Intelliflo Pump #011018, Solar, 12 4x12 panels w/Compool LX220....Soon to be adding automation.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: "546" LED, Screw-In Bulbs on Ebay - Who has one?

Well, first of all, the link you posted is for a 12V and you stated you have a 120V light ... so watch that you get the correct one.

When we resurfaced our pool last year (it was built in the late 70s, but I think the light fixture had previously been replaced), I decided to buy one of the screw in LED bulbs. I got the Color Splash 3G 120V bulb from PoolSupplyWorld on Ebay and it fit with no problems. I think we may even have an American Products fixture as well.

It has some nice light show features or you can select any single color all using just the light switch. I never did a good comparison with the old 500W white bulb as the water was always green before the remodel. If you look closely while "white is selected" you can see the different colors all lit up (very close to the light). Our pool is about 43' long and the shallow end does not get lit very well (not sure it did before anyway) and some colors work much better than others. For example Red/orange do not travel nearly as far as the white/blue/green.

I have no idea how it compares to some of the other LED full light fixtures, but for less than half the price and no need to rewire/replace the entire fixture ... I am happy.

Let me know if you have any questions about it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I see that you are contemplating adding automation (as I am). Given that you have the Pentair pump, I imagine you will be going with a Pentair control system. I assume that a Pentair light would be compatible with their own control centers.

I know the Hayward light can be controlled by the Hayward Pro Logic controllers. I am considering a Pro Logic and obviously my light will not totally integrate. I am hoping that I can still wire it to a relay and still use the controller remote to turn on/off the light and hopefully cycle through the color selections (can not see why this would not work).

I do not know what the various controllers do differently when integrated with a same manufacturer light fixture.

Just something else to keep in mind.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks jblauert, I would add a 12V AC transformer if necessary, but I do see that they also sell 120V versions of these, as well.

As to the automation, I plan to go with an Easy Touch as soon as Pentair gets EasyTouch working with the Ipad/Iphone interface (said to be "soon") and agree that the Pentair light would more easily integrate, but automating the light is pretty far down on the wants/needs list for my automation.
    38,500 gallon free form pool, Gemstone finish by Burkett's, FNS Plus 60, Pentair Intelliflo Pump #011018, Solar, 12 4x12 panels w/Compool LX220....Soon to be adding automation.

5. Back To Top    #5

Rwhite692,

I do have exactly the light showed in the link, but I have not installed it yet. I have tested it in a room at night and it makes fantastic light shows. About it performance over time, no idea yet.
    10' x 20' x 52" In Ground Pool 6,600 gallons, 2" piping, TFTestkit
    24" Sand filter / Espa Silen 0.8 hp pump

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I am considering one of these screw in LEDs as well. Since this thread is about a year old any updates in terms of performance?
    16x32 Concrete IG
    Equipment: Carvin 525sf Cartridge Filter, Jandy Gas Heater, Vortex Solar Panels w/solar valve, 1hp Hayward Pump with 3/4 HP AO Smith 2 Speed Replacement Motor, Aquarite Saltwater Cell, Polaris 280 Dolphin Active 20 Robot
    Automation: Hayward Prologic Controller

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, tha light has been used two seasons now and still is working. My pool has a surface of 290 ft2 and the light is beutiful all aver the pool.
    10' x 20' x 52" In Ground Pool 6,600 gallons, 2" piping, TFTestkit
    24" Sand filter / Espa Silen 0.8 hp pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Hope you don't min me asking here..but does anyone know if there is an LED replacement for the Pentair Aqualuminator? That's what we have in our AGP. I'd love to put in an LED lamp

Dan
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump