For the first time, i decided to open the pool this year myself, because the pool guys are now asking for $250 to open it even if I install the laddders, board and uncover the pool before they get there...that being said, the local supply house instructed me to shock first before I even brought them a sample...5 gallons of liquid chlorine in a 33000 gal inground vinyl pool. Did that, everything is up and running fine, pool is clear and sparkling in 1 day. Took a sample in and it measured at 10.0 free chlorine! The guy said to wait a few days...it's been 3 days and it measured at 10.0 again today. he said I just have to wait. Is there any way to lower chlorine level effectively? Kids are dying to swim this holiday weekend, I told them when I opened it last weekend that it would be ready.
I'm thinking the inital dose was too much...they guy first said to put 10 gallons in but then said to try the 5 gallns and see if it was enough...CYA levels tested at 45 ppm the day after opening, today tested at ZERO. I'm beginning to question this newfangled computerized testing contraption they installed.