Old Liner as Base for New Liner

Aug 28, 2009
I put in a new AGP pool last year, and thanks to a little adventure of dropping a skid steer into my pool, the liner got damaged. I patched it and it's all good from a hold water standpoint, but I don't like the little patches that happened. I also didn't really like the pattern.

So, I have a new liner to go in, and I was wondering why I couldn't just drain and clean the existing one, and do a double liner install, like they do on a roof? I can see that the top overlap might create an issue, but it seems like having a double thick liner would actually be a good thing, considering the old one is in very good shape overall.

I figure this will also keep me from disturbing the base that I have in place already.

Has anyone else done this?

I don't know anyone who has and by the looks of the lurkers on your post, nobody else so far either. I would be interested to see how it would go. I'm guessing that there may be some lumps or bumps in the areas you had patches and having it effectively go over the wall in the coping strips may be an issue because of the bulk of two liners. Other than that, it may be somewhat protective for the new one. Keep us updated.

I got started on the process last night. The wrinkle issue is more complicated since I have an expandable liner for my deep end. I ended up (so far) cutting around the bottom seam, thinking I that the bottom would make a good base. but, as it dried out, the deep end shrank and pulled away, so I'm abandoning the idea all together. I already have a layer of styrofoam as the base, but adding sand as well to get a better surface.

I did read that if the existing liner was in good shape, and pretty wrinkle free, you could lay the liner over it, but not in my case.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.