1 HP 2speed pump

The model line is more important than the brand. For in-ground pools, my personal favorite is the WhisperFlo line from Pentair. The Hayward TriStar is also good. Both are high efficiency pumps that move more water for a given amount of electricity than most other pumps. For above ground pools the Pentair OptiFlo and Hayward PowerFlo Matrix are good.

I am looking at Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1.5 hp, 2speed, for above ground pool, so similar situation but trying to understand part numbers, 2 different part numbers, same price, what is the difference? SP15932S and SP15922SS?

Thanks, the difference in power was not stated, jut the difference in part number. I have a large solar heater field, plus pool is 24K gallons approx, and looking at adding a supplemental heat pump, so that is why I was thinking of the larger horsepower. My current supposed 1.5 hp Doughboy power pak II is just barely squeaking by when the solar is on, and I cannot use my suction side cleaner and solar at the same time- not enough power.
Looking at Pentair Optiflo as well. Do you think it is better to order and save money, or go to a local-ish store so that warranty repairs do not require shipping?
Also, any significant difference between Pentair Optiflo and Dynamo? I think our local-ish store offers the Dynamo, but the clerk was not good with part numbers. Going to have to go there and figure out for myself.

JasonLion said:
. . . For in-ground pools, my personal favorite is the WhisperFlo line from Pentair. . . For above ground pools the Pentair OptiFlo and Hayward PowerFlo Matrix are good.

Why is the OptiFlo better than the WhisperFlo for an above ground pool? Will the WhisperFlo work on an above ground?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The WhisperFlo is a high head pump, while the typical above ground pool is a low head setup. A high head pump will be very inefficient pumping in a low head system. Head is a measure of the resistance to water flow. A low head pump is designed to move a comparatively large amount of water against low resistance. While a high head pump is designed to move a relatively low amount of water against much higher resistance. There are also medium head pumps which work alright, but not ideally, in either situation.

What is the difference between the optiflo and the dynamo? I also see on the pentair website a sta-rite version of each of these. I see differences in the pictures, but what is the useful difference? I know it has been a while, got backed up by a year of medical issues, but pump is just barely squeaking along, so we are going to have to do this soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.