Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1 HP 2speed pump

1. Back To Top    #1

1 HP 2speed pump

I'm looking to get a new 1HP 2 speed pump. Is one brand better than another? I've been looking at Pentair and Haywood pumps.
    15x30x54 AGP, Hayward 1hp 2 spd pump, cartridge filter, Royal Entrance steps,Pool Rover Jr

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1 HP 2speed pump

The model line is more important than the brand. For in-ground pools, my personal favorite is the WhisperFlo line from Pentair. The Hayward TriStar is also good. Both are high efficiency pumps that move more water for a given amount of electricity than most other pumps. For above ground pools the Pentair OptiFlo and Hayward PowerFlo Matrix are good.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Is the WhisperFlo enough better than the OptiFlo to be worth twice the price? (I was looking at buying the 1hp 2 speed OptiFlo for $229.... it looks like the WhisperFlo will cost closer to $450 or $500...)
    18' x 38' x 52" oval AGP with 6' deep end (foam on the walls, preformed coving, and Happy Bottom floor padding)
    Pentair Optiflow 1 HP 2 Speed pump
    Pentair cc200 cartridge filter
    Pentair UltraTemp Model 110 BLK 108,000 BTU Heat Pump
    2 Intex SWG's (copper unplugged)

4. Back To Top    #4

HotShot, What kind of pool do you have?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm getting a 18' x 38' oval AGP, going to dig out a deep end (6' is all the expandable liners go I think). So I'm estimating around 20-22k gallons.
    18' x 38' x 52" oval AGP with 6' deep end (foam on the walls, preformed coving, and Happy Bottom floor padding)
    Pentair Optiflow 1 HP 2 Speed pump
    Pentair cc200 cartridge filter
    Pentair UltraTemp Model 110 BLK 108,000 BTU Heat Pump
    2 Intex SWG's (copper unplugged)

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have an in-ground pool or a roof mounted solar system then the WhisperFlo is worth it. For a regular above ground pool the OptiFlo is a better idea.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I am looking at Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1.5 hp, 2speed, for above ground pool, so similar situation but trying to understand part numbers, 2 different part numbers, same price, what is the difference? SP15932S and SP15922SS?
    28 ft round Doughboy Sand Dollar II AGP, Aug 2008: 4 ft shallow, 6ft deep end: 24K gal approx Hayward Power-Flo Matrix
    1&1/2-HP 2-SPD Pump, Hayward 27-Inch Sand Filter with a little DE -(2) 4ftx20ft Solar Bear AGP Panels w/ Goldline auto-controller, 50ppm Borates And some day, maybe this year, a DECK!!!

8. Back To Top    #8

SP15932S is 1 1/2 HP, while SP15922S is 1 HP.

The purchase prices are very similar, but the 1 1/2 HP version will use more electricity.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks, the difference in power was not stated, jut the difference in part number. I have a large solar heater field, plus pool is 24K gallons approx, and looking at adding a supplemental heat pump, so that is why I was thinking of the larger horsepower. My current supposed 1.5 hp Doughboy power pak II is just barely squeaking by when the solar is on, and I cannot use my suction side cleaner and solar at the same time- not enough power.
    Looking at Pentair Optiflo as well. Do you think it is better to order and save money, or go to a local-ish store so that warranty repairs do not require shipping?
    Also, any significant difference between Pentair Optiflo and Dynamo? I think our local-ish store offers the Dynamo, but the clerk was not good with part numbers. Going to have to go there and figure out for myself.
    28 ft round Doughboy Sand Dollar II AGP, Aug 2008: 4 ft shallow, 6ft deep end: 24K gal approx Hayward Power-Flo Matrix
    1&1/2-HP 2-SPD Pump, Hayward 27-Inch Sand Filter with a little DE -(2) 4ftx20ft Solar Bear AGP Panels w/ Goldline auto-controller, 50ppm Borates And some day, maybe this year, a DECK!!!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    . . . For in-ground pools, my personal favorite is the WhisperFlo line from Pentair. . . For above ground pools the Pentair OptiFlo and Hayward PowerFlo Matrix are good.
    Why is the OptiFlo better than the WhisperFlo for an above ground pool? Will the WhisperFlo work on an above ground?
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

11. Back To Top    #11

The WhisperFlo is a high head pump, while the typical above ground pool is a low head setup. A high head pump will be very inefficient pumping in a low head system. Head is a measure of the resistance to water flow. A low head pump is designed to move a comparatively large amount of water against low resistance. While a high head pump is designed to move a relatively low amount of water against much higher resistance. There are also medium head pumps which work alright, but not ideally, in either situation.

12. Back To Top    #12

When looking at Optiflo options, I'm supposed to choose between horizontal and vertical discharge. What considerations should that be based on?
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

13. Back To Top    #13

Sand filters and some DE filters require vertical discharge. A lot of Cartridge filters require horizontal discharge. It's the level that the inlet is at on the filter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

14. Back To Top    #14

What is the difference between the optiflo and the dynamo? I also see on the pentair website a sta-rite version of each of these. I see differences in the pictures, but what is the useful difference? I know it has been a while, got backed up by a year of medical issues, but pump is just barely squeaking along, so we are going to have to do this soon.

15. Back To Top    #15

The Optiflo has a greater flow for the same head than the Dynamo has. It's a little more efficient design. It also has a larger basket and lid. The Sta-Rite models are identical to the Pentair models.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator