From the ground up

May 25, 2011
Okay-my husband and I bought a foreclosure that had a pool. While we are very excited we do not know the first thing about in-ground pools. The previous owners took everything, the pump, the filter, diving board...etc. We would like to turn our pool into a saltwater pool from the beginning, but we do not want to be taken advantage of. We are newlyweds and therefore poor. We only need the basics to get it open for now. We will worry about the extras later. It is an 18 x 36 in-ground pool. If you have any suggestions or information please send it my way.

Thank you.

Welcome to TFP!

I'd suggest you look for a 1HP pump and a 24" sand filter. Those are appropriately sized for your pool, and being among the most common sizes will be available many places for a reasonable price. If you live in an area with high electricity costs or water usage restrictions, you may need to consider other options. I bought a Haward S244T last year on Amazon with free shipping a good price.

You can easily skip the SWCG at the beginning and just allow enough straight pipe to install it in a few weeks after you get the pool under control. When clearing a neglected pool, you usually can't use the SWCG anyway as it doesn't chlorinate rapidly enough, and it will be one less thing to spend money on or take time to get started on the opening.

Pool School
Pool School will be your friend. Read and ask questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.