Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: From the ground up

1. Back To Top    #1

From the ground up

Okay-my husband and I bought a foreclosure that had a pool. While we are very excited we do not know the first thing about in-ground pools. The previous owners took everything, the pump, the filter, diving board...etc. We would like to turn our pool into a saltwater pool from the beginning, but we do not want to be taken advantage of. We are newlyweds and therefore poor. We only need the basics to get it open for now. We will worry about the extras later. It is an 18 x 36 in-ground pool. If you have any suggestions or information please send it my way.

Thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: From the ground up

Welcome to TFP!

I'd suggest you look for a 1HP pump and a 24" sand filter. Those are appropriately sized for your pool, and being among the most common sizes will be available many places for a reasonable price. If you live in an area with high electricity costs or water usage restrictions, you may need to consider other options. I bought a Haward S244T last year on Amazon with free shipping a good price.

You can easily skip the SWCG at the beginning and just allow enough straight pipe to install it in a few weeks after you get the pool under control. When clearing a neglected pool, you usually can't use the SWCG anyway as it doesn't chlorinate rapidly enough, and it will be one less thing to spend money on or take time to get started on the opening.

Pool School
    Pool School will be your friend. Read and ask questions.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

I concur with JT but I'd look at 2-speed pumps unless your electric rates are high enough to warrant a variable speed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

One of the big questions is how much work you want to do yourself. Plumbing the equipment pad is not too difficult and you can save a fair bit by doing it yourself.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School