Cloudy After Shock

Aug 16, 2008
Cave Creek, AZ
I have a 25,000 gallon in ground concrete / plaster pool. It is an older pool (1998ish) but new to us - we just moved in a few months back. To prepare for the swim season I gave it a good shocking last night. Leslie's recommended 4lbs of Cal-Hypo Shock. I put that in last night at 7:00 PM and now 12 hours later it is cloudy as all heck. Water was crystal clear when I started.

I'm hoping that time in the sun today (Phoenix AZ 97 deg ambient / 78 deg water temp) will help to clarify but I'm still eager for your opinions and advice. Pool needs to be swim-able for Friday.

Welcome to TFP!

If the water is clear and the FC level is good there is no need to shock.

I suspect that you have trigged some calcium clouding. But it is impossible to know without a full set of water test results. Calcium clouding is usually fairly easy to clear up, though it depends somewhat on your levels.

Get a good test kit so you'll be able to test yourself.

Have you taken a sample to the pool store and had it tested? If so, post the results.

I suspect, like Jason does, that it's calcium clouding but a set of test results will tell us more.

Keep the pump running until it clears.

If you dont have a test kit that tests for Calcium have them run one at the pool store. You'll most likely find your CH level is pretty high.

Honestly I dont know why they sell Cal-Hypo in the southwest. It's just asking for trouble.

I figured I owed you guys a follow up and kudos for the advice.

The water checked out perfect in spec. I meant to save and post the numbers but forgot. I think the print out is in the garage. If so I'll post up later.

Backwashing and a little clarifier did the trick.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.