Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: newbie *plumbing, maindrain issue/question* thanks

1. Back To Top    #1

newbie *plumbing, maindrain issue/question* thanks

new guy here sorry I am having a issue with my pool plumbing I cannot figure out how to get suction to the main drain in the deep end. I had a guy open my pool and he couldnt figure out the plumbing there are two pipes that meet and go into my pump if I switch the valve to either side it shuts off one or the other skimmer in my pool. I cannot figure out what controls my main drain for the life of me. I know its a fairly older pool and was told they did things a bit different back in the day 15-20 years ago. The pool was put in by anthony and sylvan. I took a swim yesterday and cleaned out the main drain which was gunked up with loose fallen tile and algae. I replaced the two floor drain grates and turned the pump back on and still NOTHING. I did notice however that there is a screw looking mechanism (about the size of a half dollar) on the floor maybe 5 feet from the maindrain looks like pvc material im not sure if this has to do with anything but I need help vaccuming everyday is getting to be a pain in the butt. Am i missing something out near the pool, I was told it is possible that the main drain was capped due to previous leak or that I am just plain missing something. ANY HELP will be GREATTTTLY apppreciated im at a total loss, I have attempted to contact the old pool company to no avail the last home owner did nothing themselves they have no clue what I am even talking about.
    approximately 25,000 gallons
    Pentair FNS D.E. 60 filter
    Inground Pool (concrete)
    Hayward Super Pump2 1.5 horse

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: newbie *plumbing, maindrain issue/question* thanks

Welcome to TFP!

The mechanism in the floor may be a relief valve to release groundwater pressure when draining the pool.

If either of your skimmers has two open holes in the bottom, the hole closer to the pool is where your main drain flows. This isn't an optimum design, but a lot of pools are built that way.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

i just checked them they both only HAVE 1 hole *SMH*
    Inground Pool (concrete)

4. Back To Top    #4

What he said ^

If there's two holes beneath the skimmer basket, there should be one of these diverters in there as well:

Underneath there's a flap that lets you adjust how much comes from drain, how much from skimmer. I went through this last year. The diverter was about ten bucks.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by verasdaddy
    i just checked them they both only HAVE 1 hole *SMH*
    Do the skimmers have two holes, with one plugged? It's possible that one is plugged for winterization and is actually the line for the main drain. I don't know how you'd verify that without undoing the plugs.

It's not unusual for older pools to have the main drain disabled due to leaks. Any unused pipes at the equipment pad?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

i spoke with the company that redid the plumbing the guy claims there shouldnt be much suction because the pool drain is a passive drain and it barely sucks anything he stated the drain is just for circulation not to help filter anything...am I missing something here?? im confused alot
    Inground Pool (concrete)

7. Back To Top    #7

There are two ways to plumb the main drain. Ideally you want the pipe from the main drain to go back to the equipment pad. However, some builders simply run the pipe from the main drain to one of the skimmers. When it runs to the skimmer it is mostly there so water can come from somewhere when the skimmer basket is blocked with leaves. However, in that situation, you can use one of the devices Richard320 posted a picture of to force more water to be drawn from the main drain.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

ill look for that piece then thanks
    Inground Pool (concrete)